Monday, December 17, 2007

WWGBD? (What Would Greg Behrendt Do?) ...

So, there's this guy.

We met online, several years ago, back when I was wading in the putrid waters of Match.com. (Apologies to any readers who are members of Match.com. I'm sure you're lovely people. Hell, if I'd met you when I was a member, I probably wouldn't have quit.)

We've been in touch ever since. E-mail mostly. The occasional phone call, though we haven't spoken in quite some time. He lives in another state, but a state close by.

We have similar senses of humor. We seem reasonably well-matched in the intelligence department. All other signs point toward "potential."

And yet, we've never met. We've talked it about it. Even made a plan once. But work crept up on him and he had to cancel.

So we write. And then we don't write for a while. And then we write again. I'm usually the one to get back in touch, because I see something or read something and think he'd find it amusing or interesting, so I write and tell him.

And every so often, I casually toss off the suggestion that we should make a plan to meet, and he agrees.

And then we never do.

Why, I wonder.

Does he not want to date?

No, I don't think that's it. He continues to make comments about not being able to meet anyone.

Does he not like to travel?

No, that's not it. He travels all over the world.

Is he just not that into me?

Maybe. Maybe his replies to my e-mails are simply polite. Maybe his agreements that yes, we should in fact meet, are simply empty assents because he knows we'll never actually make a plan and stick to it. And yet, his e-mails seem to be, um, flirty.

So there's part of me that feels like it's worth one more shot.

So, enlighten me, male readers: What's up with guy?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's just practicing on you. He's just not all that into you.

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

I second Anon's comment. "Practicing" might not be the word, but you're clearly not "real" to him other than as an email buddy - flirty or otherwise.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Maybe he's just scared of being rejected again. Maybe he's intimidated by a strong beautiful woman. Maybe he doesn't want to be featured on the pages of http://bethkujawski.blogspot.com. Maybe he's waiting on you...

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Jay said...

I agree with Anon and Ethan.

He either isn't all that in to you, or he's wishy-washy in general - and you don't need either one!

He may also be hedging his bets with you in case something "local" doesn't turn up, ie. "I can keep Beth at bay while I try these other options out."

It sucks, but I'm sure it happens.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Well, I think it is one of three things. First, he isn't that into you. Second, he is afraid of rejection. Third, he isn't looking for a date but simply a pen pal. I have to sympathise with you. I corresponded with a woman for years and I think maybe we only met twice. It really sucks.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the male perspective whenever I can get it.

No harm, no foul on this one. It's not like I've been pining away for him, but have just been wondering, "What's up with this guy?"

Turns out, nothing's up with this guy. He's just a nice guy with whom I trade e-mails once in a while.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous cannon said...

Other possibilities:

10) Already has six wives, two girlfriends, ten children and a parakeet.
09) Is actually half-man half-pigeon. Can claw out email messages with his toes, but hard to have a face-to-beak conversation.
08) Waiting for rash to clear up.
07) Is secretly Santa Claus, and this is his busy time. Will get back to you after Christmas.
06) Has hunchback. Is embarrassed to be seen except in WalMarts, where he blends.
05) Wants to meet you, but wants to finish high-school first.
04) Figures he hasn't got a real shot with you anyway because he's not a "Dave".
03) Wants to have tattoos/boil/monitoring anklet removed first.
02) Is Bears fan--won't remove sack from head until the season's over.
01) Is way into you, but is way more into his Wii.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Nicely done, cannon.

No. 6 made me laugh out loud.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, so I don't know for sure if it's populated with hunchbacks, but it's a funny image. And hey, even hunchbacks love a bargain.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

lol@#4. could be...

5:57 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I love Cannon's list. Who knows what goes on the minds of men, they are such strange creatures. Just when you think you have them figured out they will throw you for a loop.

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home