Friday, December 21, 2007

Survey Says? ...

I saw a commercial the other night – I think it was for Aleve – featuring a woman who goes to people's homes to wrap their gifts for them.

I'm sure the advertisers would be thrilled that I completely ignored the message about the pain reliever and instead focused on the fact that someone has created a business around wrapping presents.

I once thought of opening a gift-wrap store, but I was more focused on the idea of people dropping stuff off and me wrapping it for them (or wrapping it while they waited – holy crap, I could open a coffee house/gift-wrap store!), but I'd never thought of going to their homes and wrapping there.

All of which got me to wondering: Just how much do people dislike wrapping packages? And why? Is it just one more time-consuming holiday task or do they not like to wrap because they don't like the results? And how much would they pay someone to wrap their gifts for them, anyway?

I'd gotten into a bit of a curling-ribbon rut in Christmases past, so this year, I specifically tried to branch out into other ribbon varieties. There's a whole new addiction just waiting to begin!

The other night, I snapped off a quick photo of the gifts under my tree (photo below). Looking at the photo, I see that I definitely need a broader ribbon collection.

So, what say you, readers? Do you like wrapping presents? Why or why not? And how much would you pay someone to do it for you?

8 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I have to admit that I hate wrapping gifts. My reason is simply because I don't feel I am very good at it. The past several years I've taken to using those little Christmas bags you can get at WalMart and Hallmark. At any rate, if I had the money, I'd definitely pay someone to wrap presents for me.

9:25 AM  
Blogger OneMan said...

I don't really care for it either. At work they have a wrapping station, in the past a co-worker would do the wrapping for me (out of pity mostly), this year they turned it into a fund raiser for charity. You give a donation and they wrap stuff.

A win-win

10:02 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

If I can stay on top of it, I actually like wrapping. I'd like to think that I'm pretty competent at it when I have the time. Sometimes we wait until the last week to wrap and then the task is so daunting that you just want to get it over with.

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

That charity wrapping station is a great idea. I spectacularly suck at wrapping gifts. In fact, I have decided that my gift wrapping skillz are best reserved for "white elephant" gifts.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Sunday, Andy and I will spend most of the day at the local mall wrapping gifts for people who don't want to. The poodle rescue we work with along with three other animal rescue groups have a wrapping station in the mall where we set up and wrap for donations. It is actually pretty fun (we did it last year, too) and some people are very generous so the rescues make some decent money. We pretty much know all of the people we are wrapping with because we see them at all the events that the rescue groups work, so it is a good time. If you are animal lovers like we are, working with rescue groups is a great way to meet like-minded people.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I am ALL over this gift-wrapping-for-charity idea! Henry, do you pay a per-gift rate (like $5) or is it an at-will donation, like Jen's situation seems to be?

If I ever have a "real" job again (like, in an office with other people), I'd totally wrap gifts for contributions. On my lunch hour. So no one could balk. Not that anyone would.

Love it, love it, love it. Thanks, all!

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrapping gifts was fun when I had time to put on Christmas music, pour a glass of wine and leisurely wrap and fluff bows so all of the packages look nice. Now, it's a chore to be squeezed in between a 60-hour-a-week job and numerous other obligations. And then there are the presents that must be wrapped early so they can be shipped in early December so they actually arrive in time. Hah. I remember when writing Christmas cards was a pleasant task on a Sunday afternoon instead of a all-night marathon that ends in me standing at the post office mailbox, unable to mail the cards because the box is stuffed to the gills by other poor stiffs like me. I'd like to know when real life ate Christmas alive. As much as I admire Martha Stewart, when it comes to the unrealistic expectations of Christmas, I'd like to throttle somebody.

11:45 PM  
Blogger OneMan said...

Beth,

I think it is an at will donation but I just give them $10 and call it a subscription.

Actually two different people end up doing the wrapping, I think in part for the break it gives them in the day and part out of pity for Sheila (less she has to wrap)

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home