Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sign Up For It ...

Not that I'm an autograph seeker, but if I ever run into Will Ferrell I won't bother asking. Dude has the honor of being the worst autograph signer according to Autograph. (Who knew there was a magazine devoted to autographs? Is it just a bunch of blank pages?)

Johnny Depp, bless his indie heart, is No. 1 on the Best list for the third year in a row. But then, Johnny lives in France. Maybe the aloof French don't much care about autographs.

But Will. Will, Will, Will. You'd think he'd be a little more gracious – not only does he not sign, he "taunts" people for asking for his autograph – and remember that the people who are asking for his John Hancock are the same people who go to see the movies for which he's paid $20 million a pop.

I'm sure it's annoying to be a star these days. I'm sure people ask for autographs at ridiculously inopportune times. But it's part of the price of being rich and famous.

I've only ever asked for one autograph, and it wasn't even planned.

I wrote the following about two years ago:

I [ended] up being the sole Tribune representative at the TV Land upfront. I got to sit with Garry Marshall and behind me, at the next table, was Barry Williams. I was practically rubbing elbows with Greg Brady. At the end of the event, we found ourselves standing next to each other.

I don't know what came over me, but I turned to him and said, "I'm sorry, I really never do this ..." as I handed him my invitation.

"Oh, geez, don't apologize!", he said. "What's your name?"

"Beth."

And a moment later, he handed my invite back to me, signed, "For Beth, Keep On Groovin', Barry Williams."


When I got back to the Tower, I put my autographed invitation in the pocket of a binder on my desk. And that's where it's sat. Until I took it out yesterday to take this picture of it.



Otherwise, the only other signature I have in my house is from Kevin Spacey. I wrote a letter to him, and he wrote a little card back, which is framed, and sitting on the coffee table in my TV room.

Maybe I'll frame my Barry memento, too. Or maybe it will go back in the binder in the closet from whence it came.

But regardless, do like the man says: Keep on groovin', everybody.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

Given that most of his movies are total crap, you would think Mr. Ferrell would be a little more grateful to his fans for shilling out their hard earned bucks for his films...

2:29 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

I've picked up a few autographs in my time...the horror writer Clive Barker, rock folks Todd Rundgren and Patti Smith, Seahawk quarterback Matt Hasselback.

My favorite celebrity encounter was totally spontaneous. My wife and I were sitting in an outdoor cafe in Whistler BC and Mark Wahlberg came walking by our table. I said "Wow, look who's here" and we shook hands.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I once found myself sitting behind Richard Marx at a U2 concert. He brought his sons. They were very well-behaved kids.

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home