Sunday, December 02, 2007

Pondering Post-Its ...

One night, years ago, when I worked at the Tribune, I had plans to go out with my friend Rick after work. Something came up late in the day and I disappeared from my desk for a while. When I returned, I found a yellow Post-It in the middle of my desk. In pencil, Rick had written:

B –
Where are you?
Rick


I framed it. Seriously. It's in a little square frame on the bookshelf right behind me.

And I regularly ask myself, "Where am I?" Usually, I'm in a pretty good place.

Now I'd like a matching Post-It that reads:

B –
Who are you?
Beth


I've been waking up very reliably right around 6:20 these days. This morning, I woke up at 6:17 and rolled over, saying to no one, "I don't have to get up yet." And I drifted off, woke up, looked at the clock, and it was 6:22. Fine, I thought. I'll get up.

Yesterday was a similar situation. I woke up early (or, earlier than I'd like to on a weekend) and hauled myself out of bed.

I'd decorated my tree Friday night, so yesterday morning I made some coffee and sat in the living room, sipping. I love the glow from a tree. And then I thought I'd wrap a few more presents.

One of my reasons for asking "Who are you?" of late is that I am nearly done with my Christmas shopping. I just turned my calendar pages to December and I'm nearly done with my Christmas shopping? That's not like me.

I ended up wrapping everything I've bought. Though I held off on ribboning. Maybe I'll ribbon today.

My holiday cards were mailed on November 26. I bought the cards in October. That's not like me.

I won't launch into the holiday baking just yet. That'll begin next weekend. But I've had this year's cookie list established for a week or two and I've bought a lot of the ingredients already.

When I was done wrapping yesterday, I put up my second (and final) Christmas tree in my dining area. It's the sweetest tree, so obviously, cheesily fake. I have an artificial tree in my living room (bought a couple years ago when Dad was in the hospital and there was no way I was going to get around to cutting down a tree) but it looks rather real, at a glance. But the one in my dining area is clearly not.

It was the tree we had in our basement when I was growing up, the tree we'd drape in garish gold garland and handmade ornaments and colored lights. I made a huge "silver" star for the top out of cardboard and tin foil. When I moved into my first apartment, my parents gave the tree to me. These days, I've left the garish gold garland behind in favor of off-white and olive green and copper ornaments. The star no longer suits the tree. So yesterday, I remembered a bag of some Christmassy craft stuff I had in a closet, and hauled it out, along with some fine-gauge wire and some wire cutters and fashioned a small wreath for the top of the tree.

OK, first of all, I just happened to have a small grapevine wreath lying around the house. And a spray of fake grapes. I tied some purple satin ribbon around the base of the wreath to hide where I wired on the grapes, but the purple was too royal for the color scheme of the tree, so I poked around the house to find something more suitable and settled on a piece of muslin I had left over from making cafe curtains for the guest room. I snipped the selvage edge and tore a long strip. It worked well for my purposes. The light color of the muslin seemed too stark against the tree, but once I added my "tree skirt" (which are a couple of lace valances that I obviously don't use as valances), the lighter colors tied themselves together

I also did all my laundry yesterday. And ran to the post office, even though the ground was coated with a lovely, treacherous blanket of snow with a thick, crunchy ice topping.

I made several attempts to sit on the couch and watch TV, but I kept hopping up to do things, so I eventually just gave in to the perpetual motion.

So today, I have the entire day free. Short of needing to empty my dishwasher, I have no chores in front of me.

Maybe I'll organize all my CDs.

Because I bought a new CD rack situation and it was delivered Friday, Flat-pack, of course. It all went together quite easily until the last bit of assembly. One of the pieces was simply too long. There was no way it was going to fit where it was supposed to fit. So I grabbed a 3M sanding block and took it outside and sanded it down.

Seriously, who am I these days? Where is all this ambition coming from? Do I have more energy from my increased muscle mass?

Or maybe I'm just coming out of the funk I've been in for the past six weeks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I'm with you- I mean I am actually way behind you, but I am moving in the direction of becoming someone who is much more organized, proactive, and all of that stuff.

Holiday baking is scheduled for next weekend for me as well. I have got all of the ingredients for my Grandma's Sicilian cuccis ready to go. I haven't sent out Christmas cards yet, but I bought a bunch of them last year after Christmas, so I have tons to choose from. I can't say I am becoming my mother because my mom still doesn't get cards out on time. Who am I?

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I CANT BELIEVE YOU GOT RID OF THE STAR!!! :)
TB

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home