Sunday, December 09, 2007

Last-Minute Revised Resolution ...

One of my resolutions for 2007 was to learn to play the guitar.

Well, it's December 9th. Odds are, learning to play the guitar isn't going to happen this year. I suppose I could start learning to play the guitar if I owned a guitar, but I do not.

I do, however, own a Yamaha keyboard. Not a full-size keyboard like real musicians play, but also not a Casiotone-sized keyboard like college-bound Ross played on Friends in the episode in which he almost takes Rachel to her prom.

Every so often, I haul it out (it lives in the closet off my office) and plug it in and play around.

But it's been a million years since I've really played – and I wasn't very good, even then (I hated music lessons as a kid) – and so these days, me as a keyboardist is nearly the equivalent of a hunt-and-peck typist. Playing a keyboard is decidedly not like riding a bike.

In the new year, I want to take up lessons again. I'm sure it will be infinitely harder to learn as an adult, but my goal is to learn to play this:























It is one of my all-time favorite pieces. I bought the sheet music today. God bless the Internet and instant gratification! This first page doesn't look too daunting, but in listening to the song today as I followed along on the page, I was reminded of how simply the piece opens. The notation gets far more complex on the latter pages, but the above image is a screen grab from the site where I bought the music. I don't have a scanner, so I can't post the rest of it. Nor should I.

Maybe by this time next year, I'll be able to play it. Or maybe I'll barely have moved on from Camptown Races. But it'll be good to get back to an instrumental pursuit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home