Tuesday, December 04, 2007

For Your Very Much Procrastination Enjoyment ...

My sister-in-law's sister (Hi, Mary!) began a blog a while back. (Let's pause for a moment for me to wonder: Is my sister-in-law's sister also my sister-in-law? If my sister-in-law is my sister-in-law and her sister is her sister, isn't her sister also, technically, my sister-in-law? Does "in-law" apply to all the people from a family who are now related by marriage?)

I told her that I was subscribing to her blog so I would see whenever she updated her site, and she asked how one goes about subscribing to a blog.

There surely may be more than one way, but I'll mention Bloglines because I know about Bloglines.

Back in the mists of antiquity (as English Teacher Dave would say), I bookmarked all of my blogs of interest and, every morning, as part of my surfing routine, I'd check out each blog to see if it had been updated. More often than not, I was disappointed. Some people update their blogs regularly, but some people (cough – L.A. Dave) sometimes go for months between entries.

Enter Bloglines. Ethan is probably the one who told me about it. (Thanks, Eth.) You plug in the URLs of all the blogs that interest you, and Bloglines scans those sites for updates. When there's fresh content, the name of the blog appears in bold type with a number (of fresh posts) in parentheses following the title of the blog to let you know just how much bloggy goodness you have waiting.

And the content from the blogs loads into the Bloglines page as you click on each bold blog name, so you can read all your blogs locally, instead of surfing to each of the sites.

Some say the blog wave has crested and that the blog craze is now crashing on the beach, but I'm still writing and reading so I presume others are, as well. Then again, I've always been behind the curve on what's hip. In junior high school, I had friendship pins on my shoelace long after other, cooler kids had moved on. But if you're still reading blogs the old-fashioned way, surfing to site after site, hoping to find fresh content and being let down, Bloglines will spare you the disappointment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Or, is your sister-in-law's husband your brother-in-law? He's really not her brother (well, as long as we're not in Mississippi). Or is he your brother-in-law twice removed? Things to consider with the upcoming holidays...

8:51 AM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

Sometimes I don't feel like blogging but it would be hard for me to give it up completely. It's an easy way to meet really cool people with my same interests.

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

I've moved on to Google Reader. I got sick of the Bloglines Plumber, and new posts not showing up for days. I tried Google Reader out for a week, and haven't looked back.

FYI only, YMMV, IANAL, RTFM.

Either way, I prefer a feed reader to a bookmarks list, but maintain both for different reasons. Plus it's good to do random link-clicking to shake things up. Seems to me, that's how I found your blog.

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home