Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Dreaming In Great Detail ...

I just had a very protracted dream about Oprah, in which she died.

It was, as you might imagine, a very big deal, much like the death of Princess Diana.

I was with my friend Jen from my Thomson days when she got a phone call. "No," she said. "I never got a call from the Chicago Tribune." And she raced out of the building we were in to get to her car and the street was already abuzz. Nevermind that she never worked for the Tribune (I did), she had to go to work to help with the coverage. I followed her to her car.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Oprah was killed in a car accident," she said, opening her car door.

Weird.

Turns out, Oprah was at a NASCAR event, screening a movie. Don't ask me how anyone was supposed to hear the movie while a NASCAR race was happening in front of them, but a dream's gotta have some element of the weird.

Anyway, if NASCAR tracks had shoulders at the top of the tracks, that's where Oprah was standing, when a car further down the track hit the wall, went airborne, flipped over, and landed on O.

Of course, there was video footage from a high-mounted camera on the track. Of course, the video was replayed over and over and over in its jerky, stop-motion way.

It was the topic of conversation everywhere I went, yet somehow, my mother hadn't heard. We were at a kids' soccer game, in the rain, sitting on wet, metal bleachers when I mentioned it to her.

She took what I was saying to mean that we didn't yet know if Oprah was injured or killed.

"A car landed on top of her," I said. "That's not something you walk away from."

We left the soccer game, walking through a school, and I saw Gayle King. I didn't know what to say to her, so I didn't say anything. She was there because she was scheduled to pick up Oprah, though why Oprah was supposed to attend the soccer game, I don't know. And why Gayle was there to pick her up, even though she was dead, I don't know.

I walked past her, with my mom, and headed outside.

"Jesus," I said. "Like someone else couldn't have done that for her? Like she needed a reminder?"

Weird. Weird, weird, weird.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

But the O is all powerful! Why didn't she just create a protective force field around herself? Or travel back in time and prevent the crash in the first place? Or bend space and teleport to a different location?

After all, she does have the power of Satan. It's a perk of being a minion.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

That is a weird dream. Of course, if Oprah died it would be big news, but I also think reactions to her death would be divided along the lines of gender. Most men I know (my brother perhaps being an exception) wouldn't react to her death nearly as badly as most women I know.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

All I want to know is, what did you eat before you went to bed that night?

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home