Sunday, December 30, 2007

The 2008 Challenge(s) ...

My pal Mike (that's him, there), across the pond, wrote this nifty post recently in which he proposed a game for the new year.

For those of you too lazy to click the link, here's the meat of his post:

The game is simple.

1. You give me a Challenge for 2008. This Challenge is of the 'fun' and 'personally enriching' variety. Yes, that means snide comments along the lines of "Acquire A Life" will be ignored.

2. I mull the Challenge over, and then I decide whether to accept or not.

3. It goes in writing, on this post, in this blog.

4. Then I set YOU a Challenge. Ditto. Ditto.

5. Then, with all Challenges set......I check up on you, and put up an update post every once in a while, to summarise how it's going, including how I'm doing with my Challenges.

It's all a bit like New Year's Resolutions, except with public culpability and reminders.

Those of you with blogs - I also Challenge you to run this game within your own posts......


So here I am, living up to his first challenge, posting this game on my own blog and inviting others to participate.

My challenge to Mike is to write one letter per month in 2008. I think it's a shame that we've gotten so far away from putting pen to paper, and it's always so lovely to receive a note or card or letter in the mail that you weren't expecting. Makes all those bills and credit-card solicitations a little less annoying, don't you think?

I have yet to find out Mike's challenge for me, but I'm sure it'll be a good one, as he's a very clever sort.

So who wants to play? Pop a challenge into the Comments section. We'll communicate there.

Of course, I reserve the right to refuse any challenge, but I'll be a good sport about it. Unless it's something insane or potentially life-threatening, I'm pretty sure I'll take it on.

For reference, some of Mike's challenges are things like "learn to meditate" and "create an absurdly ostentatious pudding to be devoured in York or Edinburgh." I might learn how to make a pudding, but whether I could arrange for it to be devoured in York or Edinburgh remains to be seen. Though I do know people in both places ... a necessary component to the challenge, as I wouldn't want to eat an entire pudding alone.

But for the sake of argument, let's say that the challenges shouldn't include travel outside the continental United States. And Canada.

Ready? Set? Go!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Mikeachim said...

No, no no.
I look just like Brad Pitt.
Damned if I know who *that* bloke is.

I like the idea of this game going on across different continents.
Excellent. :)

(And ta for the plug).

3:10 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I love that picture of you, er, I mean, Brad Pitt!

Actually, I just looked at it again and thought, "Huh. He kind of looks like Kevin Spacey." And I love Kevin Spacey.

So there.

Different continents, indeed! Lessee ... I don't know anyone in Antarctica, nor South America, nor Asia, nor Africa, but I know someone in Australia! But I don't think he has a blog. But maybe he'd play the game. That would count, right? Actually, I could ping several people in Australia, come to think of it. Fun! Let's recruit the down-under crowd!

3:18 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Sadly, I have trouble thinking up challenges for myself, let alone other people. I'll have to think on it myself.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Okay, Beth. I think I have come up with a challenge. I only ask that if you accept that my challenge somehow be linked to pop culture (in keeping with the theme of my blog). So here's the challenge. You have to read at least one fiction book a month and then post a review in this blog. It can be any sort of book--mystery, sci-fi, romance--just as long as it is fiction. I don't think we read enough for sheer entertainment any more.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Consider that gauntlet thrown down, Mercurie.

Actually, reading at least one book a week is one of my resolutions, so you and I are in sync on the book front. I do miss reading. And my library card languishes in my wallet.

So then, my challenge to you is this: You need to create and post one pop-culture quiz per month on your blog. They can be themed or just a collection of random stuff every month, that's up to you. At the end of the year, whoever achieves the best cumulative score gets a pop culture-related prize, like a Bart Simpson keychain. (Which figured prominently in what movie?)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Okay, a pop culture quiz a month it is. (-: The Bart Simpson keychain figured prominently in Basic Instinct (which is why, despite being a rabid Simpsons fan, I have never owned a Bart Simpson keychain...).

8:50 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

All righty, Merc. Glad we're both up to the challenges.

And I figured the Bart Simpson item was way too easy for you, but I figure it's always nice to lob an easy one over the plate during the warm-up.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home