Monday, November 05, 2007

'Weeds' ...

As I've mentioned in the past, I am the one person in the country without cable or satellite television. For the most part, this is a good thing, as I love me some TV, and if I had more options, the likelihood that my flesh would knit itself into my couch would greatly increase. And if I think my ass is big now, it'd be even harder to buy pants if I had to accommodate a sofa cushion back there.

Not having cable, of course, means that I didn't have to get pissed off about the cut to black at the end of The Sopranos. Whatever. It sounded like a clever way to end the show. Because, really, nothing David Chase could have done would have made everyone happy. Kill Tony, it's too cliché, let Tony live happily ever after, it's too unrealistic. Have Tony continue on with his mob ways, why end the show? So cut to black and let everybody make up their own minds.

I've watched some of Rome but I have a lot of catching up to do on that front. But Ciarán is a damn fine Caesar, from what I've seen.

I got tired of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I thought it was brilliant, but after watching several seasons in a short amount of time, I decided that Larry is just a yutz and now that Cheryl's left him, all I can think is, "What took you so long?"

But Jay recently recommended Weeds so I Netflixed the first season, which is 10 episodes. Ten half-hour episodes. I thought it was an hour show. But good thing that it's not, because I didn't have 10 hours this weekend to watch TV, but I managed to find five, broken up over three days.

And WOW! What a great show! Mary Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins are fabulous, Justin Kirk is freakishly attractive, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan isn't just Denny Duquette!

I've laughed out loud – hard – on several occasions. The episode in which Shane makes the terrorist video killed me. Brillant television.

So while I'm sad that the writers in Hollywood are striking, I'm also proud of them. They're the ones who create these brilliant shows and they're the ones who get the smallest slice of the pie. Why is it so hard to make people see that without writers, nothing on stage or screen, big or small, exists. That's not to say actors and directors and crew are unimportant, but none of them would have anything to do if the writers didn't supply them with scripts in the first place.

Luckily, if the strike affects my current crop of shows, I can dip into past seasons of everything I've missed on cable.

3 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

I would also highly recommend "Dexter" and the new David Duchovny show "Californication". I actually like them better than "Weeds".

7:23 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I have to second j.'s recommendation of Dexter. It is a brilliant show. I also like Entourage, which I think is one of the funniest shows on television.

8:09 AM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

Oh yeah, Entourage rocks. Especially Jeremy Piven's character. I love it when he's trying to careen between being a good agent and a good husband.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home