Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Speaking Of Things That Ain't Pretty ...

Thanksgiving is almost here, the day when we Americans stuff our collective gullet and then stuff it some more.

I remarked once that it seems weird that fast-food joints are open on Thanksgiving, and my brother pointed out to me that not everyone has somewhere to go that day. Which I had never really thought about, but gee, that's sad. Even if you spend the holiday bickering with your Uncle Seamus (I don't have an Uncle Seamus, FYI, that's just the name that popped into my head at this early hour), at least you can drown your sorrows in gravy.

Mmm. Gravy. Have I mentioned that I made amazing gravy?

But I digress.

On Monday, on the heels of my toxic cosmetics post, Ethan pointed me to this site, a handy-dandy side-by-side comparison of all that is fast and somewhat foody. If you're anything like me and you have a hard time eating something once you know how truly God-awful it is for your body, this is the cure you've been looking for.

And if you're wo/man enough to get past all those facts and figures, perhaps this nugget from L.A. Dave will do the trick:

Mac & Cheese Snacks
Today I'd like to introduce the term "unrestricted eating." It refers to eating whatever you want, whenever you want it. Like macaroni & cheese, for example. Typically, you'd need a bowl, spoon and both hands to enjoy this quintessentially American dish. Lucky for you, SONIC invented Mac & Cheese Snacks—a cheesy favorite packed into crunchy bite-size morsels. It's portable and pop-able. Which means you can now have Mac & Cheese anytime, anywhere. So like I said, it's "unrestricted eating." Got it?


Just when you thought the fast-food industry had realized that it has to start offering healthier alternatives if it wants to continue to draw customers, someone decides that what's missing from the menu: mac 'n' cheese nuggets.

I love mac 'n' cheese – good mac 'n' cheese – but never once in my life have I said to myself, "Damn! I wish there was a way I could eat mac 'n' cheese in the car that didn't require a bowl and a spoon and the possibility of causing a high-speed accident. We can put a man on the moon but we can't invent mobile mac 'n' cheese?"

I have to get on the treadmill now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

Like you, it never occurred to me to mix cheese and chicken nuggets. And while I like both, I just can't see them tasting good together...

7:13 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, there's no chicken involved, they're just hunks of mac 'n' cheese, but still. Some things just don't need to be.

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home