Monday, November 12, 2007

'Raising Sand' ...

Forget everything I've said about not liking what I've heard of Raising Sand, the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss collaboration.

With my iTunes giftcard, I bought the album this morning, and wow, I was hooked from the first few measures of the first track, "Rich Woman." My musical vocabulary isn't broad enough to allow me to offer the word for the effect on the guitar, but it's as though the sound is fading in and out slightly or like the sound waves are distorted. I love it. It's hypnotic.

And their voices together are flippin' magic. I want to record a song with Robert Plant!

As I told Doreen this morning, I will never doubt him again.

(And speaking of Plant, I spent the rest of my gift card on a pre-order of Mothership, the Led Zeppelin collection that's being released tomorrow. I already own 22 of the 24 songs on it, but pre-ordering the album buys an entry for the chance to win a pair of tickets to see Zeppelin in London next month. I was shut out, as was most of the planet, from the chance to buy tickets to the show, but I figured $13.99 is a small price to pay for the chance to see that show. It's like buying a raffle ticket, really. Keep your fingers crossed. A trip to London to see Zeppelin would be a damn cool birthday gift!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home