Saturday, November 24, 2007

Meme Memory ...

Blog pal J. Marquis tagged me today with a meme that's short but sweet:

I have to post my earliest memory that is:
#1 Clear enough to include three details, then
#2 Give my age, and
#3 Pass it along to some other folks.

Hmm. Well, I don't know if it's really my earliest memory, but it's the first one that sprang to mind. I was three or four. I was playing in the yard of the house in which I grew up. I was wearing a little sunsuit that my mom made for me, which was a pair of shorts and a little tank top-like number that buttoned at each shoulder. It was yellow and orange, probably some crazy '70s floral print. (I conceived my artist's rendering here to illustrate the shape of the top and the position of the buttons, but I thought I'd throw in a few flowers for good measure.) Anyway, I snagged a button on the fence or gate and tore it off. I remember taking the button into the house with my sunsuit sagging off my left shoulder, crying, sure that my mom was going to be mad. Mom was in the kitchen, ironing. I'm pretty sure she had a Cubs game on in the corner on our portable black-and-white TV. She conjured a needle and thread, sewed my button back on with a few quick stitches, kissed me, and sent me back outside to play.

As for my present age, I just turned 38. That anecdote reminds me how important it is not to sweat the small stuff. And I find it interesting that J. and I both wrote about memories that involve us crying.

I tag L.A. Dave, Whoorl, and Ethan. (And, of course, anyone else who wants to play along.)

2 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

I normally don't do these things but I liked how simple this one was. Thanks for playing along!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

My contribution to society has hit the feeds. Cool thanks!

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home