Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Dreaming ...

I should take a course or read a book about dreaming. Man, what goes on in my head at night?

Two nights ago, I talked to Journal Jeff. He was stuck in an airport (isn't air travel just a joy these days?) and we were hammering out plans to see each other this weekend. That night, I dreamt that I was at his house. Makes sense, right? Only, his house didn't look like his house, it looked like a '70s-ized version of my high school. Huh? And I was sitting next to Bruce Springsteen – which makes sense because Jeff is the biggest Bruce fan I know and I am Jeff's faithful Bruce student, but doesn't make sense because Bruce doesn't hang out at Jeff's house – and Bruce and I were creating playlists for our friends. I suggested a tune that he didn't know and played it for him, and he thought it was a very good choice. And I was happy that I was able to recommend a song that Bruce had never heard.

Last night, though, was just bizarre. First though, I wonder: Is what we experience while asleep one dream or many dreams? Is it one dream with many different stories that flow one into another? Or do we dream many distinct dreams that aren't necessarily related? Because much of what I dreamt last night doesn't seem cohesive. See? This is why I want to learn more about dreaming. Why was I dreaming about a large cafeteria-like space and a bunch of helium-filled balloons and ice cream with diced caramel in it? It wasn't a party, it was more like a cafeteria in college. But diced caramel? Who dices caramel? I've never thought of dicing caramel. Well, my conscious mind hasn't. Clearly, my subconscious thinks it'd be a fun idea.

But later, I dreamt about a friend of mine, a very real-life situation that makes me sad sometimes, and in my dream, sure enough, I ended up crying. So there's part of my brain that's very literal and tries to process the goings-on of my waking world, and then there's the part of my brain that dreams about diced caramel.

I've gotta get crackin' on that dream-recording device I keep wishing someone would invent so I can slap some electrodes to my head before I go to bed and wake up in the morning and watch the replays. What with the writers' strike going on, I think they'd make some pretty fascinating viewing, like the YouTube of our collective subconscious.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I have to admit I am fascinated by dreams, although I don't understand them. I figure that when we sleep we have many different dreams that just seem to run into each--each one a different story. It would explain the lack of cohesion among them.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home