Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Things My Trainer Told Me ...

So, here I am in Week 4 of my personal trainer extravaganza, which is really Week 3 because Week 1 was really only one day because of my parents and their magical mystery tour of the local medical center.

But, as I've mentioned, after Day 1, I could scarcely walk, so I think one day was plenty that first week. Because if I would have added my arms to the mix later in the week, I would have been rendered immobile. Funny how things have a way of working out. So to speak.

Today I learned today in Googling Brandon that he's bodybuilding's Mr. Indiana 2007 (when he showed me the pictures of him from this past summer's competition, he may have mentioned that he won, but I don't think he told me that he won that title). He has me on an eating plan that includes five meals a day in order to rev up my metabolism and they're protein-intensive to help my muscles recover every day, which is working like a charm, as I can now go to the gym and work reasonably hard (for me, anyway) and I no longer wake up a day or two later in pain. Nifty.

The eating plan isn't anything revolutionary. It's mostly stuff that I already knew I should be eating because it's the same stuff most of us should be eating: lean protein, veggies, some complex carbs, no sugar, healthy fats, lots of water. For convenience's sake, I also whip up protein shakes in my handy-dandy Waring blender (a birthday gift from Tracy a million years ago). The canister of powder is alarmingly large and it ain't cheap (about $40), but it's a nice way to get chocolate into my day.

Today, after our session, Brandon and I chatted for a bit about my eating and cardio and such. (Note: Brandon says to do your cardio first thing in the morning or after a workout, when you don't have glycogen to burn so your body has to burn fat.) He said he can see in my face that things are changing, and he's right. My cheekbones are more pronounced. My face has thinned out more. I was holding my bottle of water and sunglasses while we talked. I set them down and said, "OK, I'm going to suck in my stomach for this demonstration, but ..." and I pulled my shirt taut around me and turned sideways and said, "I didn't look like this when I first walked in here."

So his plan is working, even in these few short weeks. My effort is paying off. I'll confess that I haven't entirely given up sugar, but it's hard for an addict to go cold turkey. The good news is that when I do eat it, I feel like utter crap and my body says, "What are you doing? Don't eat that." So my sugar consumption is very infrequent. Though I know that "very infrequent" needs to become "not at all."

Brandon, I'm grateful to say, is understanding when it comes to incorporating changes. He doesn't expect his clients to be perfect overnight. Which is more than I can say for myself. I expect perfection all the time, but never seem to get there.

But I'm proud of myself for doing this, for sticking with it.

When I embarked on this project, L.A. Dave sent me the Gabrielle Reese photo spread from Playboy, for inspiration. I'm a long way away from looking like Gabby Reese, but I'm closer than I was three weeks ago.

Slow and steady wins the race.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

Protein, eh...? I'll probably get mine from meats, as I'm pretty wary of anything that comes in powder form at the nutrition stores. I've had a thigh injury for over a week now, and it's slowly improving but not to the point where I feel comfortable bike riding. I walked for 30+ minutes yesterday and got through it, but there were moments where I had to kind of limp along.

Good job on your exercise plan.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Doreen said...

and maybe, just maybe ... this will also be in your future (sending for the grin & fantasy for the day)
http://www.lairdhamilton.com/

10:06 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Eth: The protein shakes are good for getting protein right to your muscles after a workout. No need for your body to break down all that meat before it can use it for repair. Worth a try. Beverly International Muscle Provider is what I buy.

And Doreen: THANK YOU!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently heard that meat protein is much harder to digest. I would think protein powder is just fine, in fact, not just fine but good. Keep up the good work. You should be posting progress photos for us.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, I may post Before and After photos someday, but at this juncture, it's too soon to be posting anything. I've only been at it for a few weeks. The changes aren't dramatic enough. But maybe someday.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home