Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Enough Already ...

I know everybody's got somethin' to deal with. I get that. No one's immune. If it's not one thing, it's another.

But son of a bitch, does it have to be both?

My mother called me this morning. She sounded awful. "I'm sick," she said. And proceeded to tell me that she was sick last night and she was very weak, that she couldn't sit up. How she got to a phone, I don't know. Well, yes, I do know: she must have crawled.

I went right over and found her in her bed. "I think I need to go to the hospital," she said. My mother, who won't so much as take an aspirin for a headache unless her head is in danger of exploding off of her shoulders.

So I called 911. And ambulance arrived in minutes. They came in to check her out, then manuvered the gurney down the hallway. She wasn't kidding about not being able to sit up. The gurney was two steps away. She needed to rest between sitting up and standing, and again between standing and stepping.

They got her in the ambulance and I met them at the ER. Her blood pressure was fine. Her oxygen levels were fine. Her CT scan came back clean. Her chest x-ray came back clean. Her EKG was fine. Her cardiac enzymes were fine. But the slightest movement of her head would make her clutch her face. We kept the lights off as much as we could. I fed her ice chips. Her nurse hung a bag and pumped half of it into her faster than I've ever seen an IV pump pump.

My brother and sister-in-law were there, and they eventually went up to see my father, who must have been wondering where the hell we were. It's not like us to leave him alone in a hospital room for most of the morning.

The doctors admitted my mother for observation and when I saw her in her room, she was curled up in the fetal position with her hand over her face.

Eventually, the drugs she was given for the vertigo sensation kicked in, and I got her some soup, which helped alleviate her headache. Later, she ate a bit of dinner.

So today has been spent running back and forth between their rooms (patients with the same last name can't be on the same floor; that's a good practice) and their house and my house and it's all been a bit of an insane circus.

Mom is due for more tests tomorrow, just to rule out that she didn't also have a stroke, but the doctor is relatively sure that that's not the case.

A professor of mine once told me that you finally feel like a grown-up when you have to take care of your parents.

So I guess today's the day I finally feel like a grown-up.

Keep the good thoughts coming ...


Anonymous Alison said...

Oh jeez. That? And then this?

Good vibes coming atcha. *hug*

8:41 PM  
Anonymous cannon said...

I remember years ago, seeing my sister into surgery for a burst appendix, and then walking three doors down from the OR to drop on on my mom, who was a day out of surgery for colon cancer. It'll never be funny (weird, maybe, but not funny), but it was at least OK when they were both OK again. Best wishes to you and your folks.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I have to admit at various times in my life I had to care for my father and my mother, but never both at the same time. I sympathise with you, Beth. And I'll keep the good thoughts directed your way.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Chris. You know the one I mean. said...

Good Lord, hon...

I am so sorry. I wish I could do something more than simply continue to send you good wishes, but I've no idea what it would be.

Just know, as I said before, I am here for you, as little use and/or comfort as that may be right now.

1:10 AM  
Blogger elizabeth said...

wow. it is good you are so close to be there. I am "lucky" enough to be eight states away, so when something happens to my folks... at least my brother is up there.

good thoughts coming your way.

11:33 AM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

Wow, sorry to hear about your mom. You and your parents are in my thoughts.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home