Friday, September 14, 2007

'Waiting' ...

I have Ethan to thank for introducing me to Idiocracy, one of the best movie recommendations of all time.

In that spirit, he wrote recently to say:

If'n you take a notion, add "Waiting..." to your Netflix queue. Uproariously funny in a dumb yet knowing entertainment kind of way. The guy who plays "Mac" in those Apple commercials is in it, and pretty much nails his role, as do many others. My guess is, the cast was called in to help someone finish their graduate project for film school and this is what they came up with.

If you want a one-line hook, it's "Office Space" for the chain restaurant crowd.


So I fast-tracked Waiting to the top of my queue.

And last night, I popped it in.

Shortly thereafter, I popped it out, and wrote to Ethan to say, "I had to turn it off. I just couldn't continue the brain-cell slaughter."

And I mulled the possibilities for the disconnect between Eth's "uproariously funny" assessment and my decision that it was too inane to finish watching, and I think we can blame the great comic divide between the sexes.

The main joke of Waiting (at least, the main joke of the part I was able to stomach) centers around guys trying to get other guys to unwittingly look at their junk. Luis Guzman has a whole scene devoted to this gag, using a raw chicken leg/thigh combo as a prop.

Um, OK.

And then there's the gross-out component of the movie, featuring cooks in the kitchen doing things to food that you don't want to contemplate, because it probably happens.

But one the big movie scorecard, Eth has far more hits than misses, so long as he doesn't recommend The Three Stooges.

2 Comments:

Blogger J. Marquis said...

Idiocracy kind of scared me. I kept seeing examples of our societal retardation for days afterward. Especially that beauty pageant contestant from South Carolina...

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

J: See Waiting..., and you'll never eat in a restaurant EVER AGAIN. :-)

I've chalked this up to "different life experiences." I never worked in the food services biz, but the characters had counterparts in the blue collar world of my origin. We don't have to like the same stuff, no biggie.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home