Monday, September 03, 2007

I, Schizophrenic ...

It's not like I'm Niki and Jessica from Heroes, but the past week has been one of those weeks where I'm left wondering, "Who the hell am I?"

Just a couple days ago, I didn't even feel like leaving the house. Many days, I don't really have the need to leave the house. I work from home. My mailbox is right next to my front door. I don't get a daily paper so I'm not forced to go outside in my bathrobe to retrieve it.

If I do need to leave the house, I can accomplish a lot without leaving my car. Bank drive-thru, pull-up mailboxes, McDonald's for the grilled Asian salad when I don't feel like cooking or when I don't have much in the house, which is often when I don't feel like going out of the house, given that a) the grocery store is outside of my house and b) it is not a drive-thru establishment.

Some days, I wake up and shuffle into my office to turn on the computer and then get caught up in the day and never get around to taking a shower. But who cares, right? I'm home alone, I don't have to go anywhere, and no one's going to see me. But it can be hard to wrench yourself out of that rut, and worse, sometimes you find yourself sinking.

So it was, last week. And then Friday rolled around and I really, really had to go to the store. So I got myself together, and I went. And as I was walking to my car, the UPS guy arrived with my iPod gizmo. I tore into the package and noted the suggestion to have it professionally installed, so I went back into the house to look up installers. Made the appointment for Saturday. Then I went to the store.

And I came home and finished my work for the day and damn if I didn't feel like going to a movie. But the only thing that I wanted to see at the theater closest to me was starting sooner rather than later and I hate getting to a movie late, so I decided to stay at home and watch at DVD. (Breach. See it.)

Then Saturday dawned and I had some early errands to run, including a trip to the paint store to pick out paint chips. It's time to paint the bathroom again. When I got home, it seemed rather imperative that I take a shower and do something with my hair. And makeup. And then I had to head to my iPod appointment. If you haven't already seen it, that story is here.

Maybe it was Brian's nice invitation or maybe it was the Cheap Trick I was blaring in my car on a sunny Saturday afternoon (Dave suggested that I listen to Cheap Trick once my pod was installed, as it's good "windows down" music), but the tone was set for the day.

I stopped off at an antique store I hadn't been to in ages and actually bought things, including the most fab pair of chairs for $15 each. They're, well, let me go find a picture for you. You know, teachers' chairs. But they're painted this fab dark sage green color, totally a color I'd pick if I was going to paint them. The paint is a little worn off in spots, but the original paint job was very well done. It's not like somebody just slapped a coat of paint on these babies with a brush. The finish must have been sprayed on. It's perfectly smooth.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with them, but I loved them, and for $15 each (they're heavy and sturdy as all get out), I couldn't not buy them. Perhaps they'll join my other fab chair that I bought at a yard sale for $5. Damn, I love a bargain.

From the antique store, I headed home and off-loaded my treasures, then ran more errands. It was clearly a good shopping day, so I made hay while the sun shined. Shone? I made hay. I found a fabulous silver-plated oval dish at another antique store for $3. Three bucks. And found just the right thank-you/housewarming gift for Brian, my engineer. Engineer Brian. Pet Lover Brian. I'm going to have to create modifiers for all the Brians in my life, I guess. And I revisited the movie idea, but no, I wasn't up for it. Sunday, yesterday, I was up and at 'em early, off to a grocery store that I love for its produce and then home with all the intentions of cooking, but watching TV won out.

Doreen's gotten me hooked on Mad Men on AMC. I stumbled upon the last two hours of a marathon. For the love of all that is good and holy, Jon Hamm is one stunning son of a bitch. And this photo doesn't do him justice. My very good friend John used to be a big wig on Madison Avenue in the '60s, though he has yet to weigh in on the show. They may have been a bunch of borderline misogynists, but damn, bring Don Draper (that's Hamm's character) into this century (you know, without aging him 47 years) and I'd marry him tomorrow. Whew. He's got that Cary Grant thing going on and I am a sucker for Cary Grant.

Sunday night, of course, I had to watch Design Star because I'm paid to watch Design Star. (Tee hee. I'm paid to watch television! Well, actually, I'm paid to write about it after I watch it, but I'd probably do that anyway, here.) Which brings us to Monday.

Today I just felt like I had it going on. I called Doreen and made a plan to swing by her place with her birthday gift (in case I don't see her later this week) and we hung out on her balcony, sun for her, shade for me. (Gotta maintain that Wayne Gretzky tan, as English Teacher Dave likes to call my lack of color.) I thought I wanted to go to Crate & Barrel when I left her house, but just as I got through all the crazy traffic on North Avenue (why do I keep forgetting about the bridge construction?), I decided to abort that mission. Instead, I headed to the Cabrini Starbucks for a decaf grande hazelnut no-whip coffee Frap. I figured it would be my last one of the summer, on this, the last unofficial day of summer.

And then I felt the need to drive past Mama's, my favorite Chinese place, which does indeed look closed for good. Sigh. The quest begins anew for good Chinese food. And then I thought I'd head for home, but while I was in the car, I put in a call to Brian, he of the iPod installation. I got his voicemail. I left a message, suggesting coffee if he was around. But I didn't hear back from him. So the ball's in his court now.

So now the long weekend is almost behind me and I'm sitting here writing and wondering what accounts for the shift in attitude, from not showering and wanting to leave the house to putting myself together and calling up a guy (on my Bluetooth device because I was in my car) and suggesting we meet up for coffee. Weird, the difference a few days can make.

Maybe the makeup I bought at JD's new salon is magic. For what I paid for it, it should be.

7 Comments:

Anonymous girlanddog said...

Hmmm... You must be ovulating. :)

No, seriously. I work from home, too. Most days I'm happy to stay in my PJ's and work from my bed. But when I'm getting close to ovulating, out come the makeup, high heels, blow dryer, and I'm out the door with my mojo cranked all the way up! :D

BTW, I'm glad you called him. Hope you hear from him!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Cute theory, but I can confirm that that was not the case.

And, for the benefit of all my male readers, I won't go into any more detail.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shined.

It's also hanged, not hung. Sneaked, not snuck. Dived, not dove.

And pleaded, not pled!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I have to admit that there are times I have not wanted to leave the house. Unfortunately, I have to go to work. )-:

5:30 PM  
Anonymous girlanddog said...

Huh... Well, that just leaves schizophrenia. See why I use the ovulation excuse? ;)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Oh, I forgot. I second Brian's suggestion, if it's not too late. Cheap Trick would be perfect.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, I cranked the Cheap Trick! Dave's suggestion, not Brian's, but a good suggestion no matter where it came from!

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home