Saturday, September 01, 2007

I Got The Music In Me My Car ...

Woo hoo!

After last week's trials and tribulations in my quest for a decent solution to using my iPod in the car, I am now officially too cool for school.

Today, I took my car to Wyld Stylz to have the adapter installed. (Oh yes, you're reading that right, and don't tell me you're not thinking about Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Wyld Stallyns, because I know you are.)

When I received the device in the mail, I noted on the front of the instructions: "PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION STRONGLY RECOMMENDED."

Sheesh. No kidding.

I walked into Wyld Stylz and saw a guy behind the counter.

"Are you Bill?" I asked. I talked to Bill yesterday to set up the appointment.

"Nope, I'm Brian," he said, and then added, joking, "I'm better than Bill."

"Well, then," I said, "you're the guy I want to work on my car."

He looked at what I brought in, asked me a couple of questions, and headed for the door with my keys in his hand.

"Is there anything you need me to do?" I asked.

"We can talk while I do this," he said.

Oh. OK. Talk. Right. Sure.

So he got in the driver's side of my car and I got in the passenger's side (it's very weird being a passenger in your own car) and he drove around to the back of the shop and got his tools and proceeded to take apart the dashboard of my car. Not with particular ease, I might add. Not that he didn't know what he was doing, but my dash seems to be screwed in in places where you wouldn't expect a dash to be screwed.

Eventually, he got it all apart, took my radio out, and started hooking up parts. Of course, there were a few glitches along the way, because there are always glitches, but he worked through them.

We made small talk. He asked me what kind of music I listen to. Springsteen came to mind. "Tickets are going on sale next Saturday," I said. Brian said he'd like to see Springsteen.

Alrighty, then. The boy has taste.

"What do you do?" he asked me. As well as, among other questions, "What do you do for fun?" and "Are you married?" and "Have you ever been married?" and "What kind of food do you like?" and "What do you drink?" I told him vodka in the summer, scotch in the cooler months. "Oh," he said. "You're a very classy lady."

Now is a good time in the post to tell you that Brian is 32 years old. He's about 5'11" and about as thin as my index finger. He's originally from North Carolina, but lived in California for a while. He's been installing car audio for 17 years. He likes to gamble and usually wins. He's very scruffy, in that intentionally scruffy way. He's one of the few people I've ever met who can use pet names for a near-total stranger and not seem insincere (i.e. "Would you hand me that drill, sweetheart?" That should have felt weird, given that I'd known the guy for 15 minutes at the point, but it didn't.) And he has the most intense blue eyes I've ever seen, the kind of eyes that you can't help but look into.

"And what do you drink?" I asked.

"White Russians, sometimes," he said. "Sometimes Bud Light, if I'm drinking beer."

"White Russians?" I said. "I wouldn't have pegged you for the White Russian type, Bri. They're kinda floofy." Then again, hey, vodka, Kahlua, and cream. What's not to like, really?

"OK, let's give this a test run," he said, with everything hooked up but hanging from my dash. I hooked up my iPod and dialed up Springsteen's latest tune. "Can I hit Play?" I asked.

"Yep, hit Play," he said.

So I did. And Bruce's voice rang forth from my car speakers! Woot!

He started to put everything back together and we kept chatting. During the "What do you listen to?" reciprocal conversation, he darted into the store and when he returned, he handed me a spool of CDs. I made my way through the stack. A lot of mixes, so I didn't get a sense of his music, fully, but we agreed that Def Leppard's The Vault is a great album (we put it in my CD player, to make sure that the CD overrode the iPod; it did). I dialed up Def Leppard on my pod and ejected his CD, lest I leave it in my player.

I ran across The Chronicles of Narnia. "Oh," I said. "You're into soundtracks." (I love soundtracks.)

"It's the DVD," he said. Which is fine, too. I like the books more than the movie, but I liked the movie.

My car was nearly put back together. He had one screw left over. Isn't that always the way? He dismantled part of my dash, looking for where it belonged. He couldn't figure it out.

"Throw it in my ashtray," I said. "If I hear something rattling around, I'll come back and you can fix it."

He drove us around to the front of the store when he was finished, put the car in park, turned off the ignition, turned and leaned against the door like he'd been in my car a million times, and said, "Do you wanna go out sometime?"

I was slightly taken aback (because men rarely ask me out) and yet not surprised (because I'd felt so comfortable with him for the past hour, and his line of questioning was pretty obvious).

"Sure," I said.

We went into the store. While I settled up, he wrote his number down on the back of a business card and handed it to me. In front of his boss.

"I'll call you," I said.

And I will.

I find him fascinating. So much so that I'm temporarily willing to overlook the fact that he smokes. I've never gone out with a smoker. Intentionally.

But maybe we can meet up for White Russians.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And now, a musical interlude:


When your heart's on fire, you must realize,
Smoke gets in your eyes.



;-)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

LOL!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous girlanddog said...

Isn't life grand? Just when you least expect it... Experiences like these are what makes life worth living.

Go out, have fun, drink vodka and listen to Bruce!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Oh, that is nice. You got the adapter installed and you got a date! Of course, I would think that being Wyld Stylz, there has to be a Ted lurking around there somewhere...

11:55 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yep, girl, it put a smile on my face, that's for sure.

mercurie, I should have asked if a Ted works there. Damn. Though I think I must watch the movie now. Yes, I own it. On VHS and DVD.

Be excellent to each other!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

That's pretty cool! But please don't be jealous that our new car has a jack where we can plug in an iPod. If you'd had that, you wouldn't have met this interesting guy.

And smokers? Can be okay, ya know.

10:49 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

You go, girl. Isn't it great when something like that comes out of the blue?

By the way, kudos for liking Def Leppard. I don't care what anybody says, they are the kings of pop metal. And I always admired them for finding a way to keep their drummer in the group after he lost his arm.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home