Thursday, September 13, 2007

'For Your Consideration' ...

Sheesh. Critics can be so ... critical.

The Rotten Tomatoes rating for For Your Consideration is a measly 51 percent. The Cream of the Crop rating is a slightly better 63 percent.

I stopped watching Curb Your Enthusiasm because the joke got tedious: Every week, Larry does something stupid, Cheryl rolls her eyes, his friends prop him up and enable him, blah, blah, blah.

So you't think I'd find Christopher Guest's movies tedious, too: Same cast, same general ineptitude.

And yet, I find each of them charming in their own ways, and I loved this latest installment.

Catherine O'Hara is outstanding. I wonder how much of her transformation was makeup and how much was her.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor.

Oh, and Ricky Gervais is a god. A GOD. No matter what he says, no matter what he does, I adore him.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I haven't seen it yet, but if it has Ricky Gervais in it, then it must be worth seeing! I have always been a fan of his. I love the original, British version of The Office

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

Then see Stardust, and skip this. :-)

My take, briefly: Way too crowded. And not everything has to be Guffman or Best in Show, but the things that made those movies work (nay, special) is largely absent from FYC.

BTW, re: Ricky Gervais, after Extras it's hard to see him on the silver screen anymore and not think of that series. Hopefully for him movie execs think of Extras in a nice way, and not a "jeez, he seems like his character on Extras, only not, in this." YMMV, IANAL, LOLZ.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Mikeachim said...

'Stardust', check. Anything from source material by Neil Gaimen gets my vote by default.

I'm watching the US Office at the moment and I'm happy with how it's worked - a different character, if just as obnoxious, to David Brent. That's how to do a remake.

But yes, I still prefer Gervais's boss-character. He's just....*searches for appropriate phrase*.....such a relentless twat.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home