Sunday, September 30, 2007

Everything's OK ...

... until it isn't.

I was on the phone with L.A. Dave Friday night when my Call Waiting beeped. I hate Call Waiting. I only have it because it came as part of a phone bundle, and I never think to disable it before I place a call.

So it beeped. And I let Dave keep talking, thinking he'd get to the end of his sentence, and then it beeped again, and Dave still wasn't at the end of his sentence, so when he finally go to the end of his sentence, I told him to hold on and clicked over to a dial tone. I'd missed the call. So I came back to him and said, "Dave, let me call you back. I want to check my voicemail. I just have a weird feeling." As it turned out, I'm glad I had Call Waiting, because otherwise, the call would have gone right to voicemail and I might have not checked my messages before I went to bed.

My friend Barbara calls it my witchipooness. Doreen calls it my Spidey Sense. Sure enough, the message was from my mom, calling from the ER.

My dad recently joined Civil Defense, something he used to be part of years ago. (I remember the Civil Defense Christmas parties. We got cool mesh stockings full of candy and crap.) But now that he's semi-retired, he's signed up again, to have something to do, something we all applaud. So he was at the local high school football game, helping to direct traffic and at some point, he became light-headed.

Dad's been having headaches for months, but he's stubborn, as so many people are when faced with the prospect of any kind of illness, and he's made excuses for them all this time.

On Friday night, his body finally said, "Um, OK. Enough. We're dealing with this whether you like it or not. And we're dealing with it right now."

So the paramedics at the game got him to the hospital. While in the ER, Dad's speech started to falter. He was rushed upstairs for a CAT scan which revealed bleeding in the left side of his brain.

When I think of bleeding in the brain, I think of an aneurysm, but this is being called a stroke, which I think of as a blood clot. But then, I'm not a doctor.

So he was admitted into the ICU Friday night.

Yesterday, I spent the better part of 12 hours at the hospital (and I know you know how much fun that can be). He had another CAT scan and an MRI, but he had to have part of the MRI repeated today.

There was no radiologist in yesterday, but there is today, so hopefully we'll learn some results today. His primary physician said that we're not out of the woods yet, but so far, things look reasonably good.

His right side is slightly affected, but not nearly to the degree that many stroke patients experience. He has some trouble getting words out so he's purposely not talking much, though we're trying to encourage him to speak.

I've only been in touch with two people this weekend, and simply haven't felt like talking about this, so if this is the first you're hearing of it, please don't be offended that I didn't call you.

Posting, of course, will be spotty moving forward. The funny thing is, right before I got on the phone with L.A. Dave Friday night, I was cracking myself up with the post I was writing. I'll post it one of these days. I hope it keeps.

Send prayers, good vibes, happy thoughts, positive chi, or whatever you got thisaway. We can use 'em all, especially my mother, who will have to put up with my grumpy-ass patient of a father once he gets home.

: o )

8 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Oh gosh! Sending prayers his way for a speedy recovery. Your poor Dad (and Mom)!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Dave Tutin said...

I don't really know you. But I know this scenario. No amount of sympathy will get you all through it, just your own strength. And from reading your blog I know you have that!

Be prepared. This will change your father, no matter what.

I wish you all well.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom called yesterday and told me, I'll be calling your mom tomorrow.My thoughts and prayers are with you all. Danny

10:55 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

Hang in there. Hope he's doing better soon.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Chris. You know the one I mean. said...

Okay, I barely know you (and through Andy, to boot), but I just wanted to say you and your father are in my thoughts.

My father went through a similar scare only a few months ago, so I can empathize a bit with what you must be going through. If there is anything some random person out here in the ether can do for you, even if it's just someone to vent to, please feel free.

Take care of what you need to. The internet will be here when you're done. :)

3:43 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I do hope that your father recovers well. Strokes are a scary thing. I have had relatives who have had strokes and recovered quite well. On the other hand, I have an aunt who had a stroke and has never quite been the same since. I do hope your father falls in the former category and not the latter.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, all. I appreciate all the positive energy.

As of last night, he was doing relatively well, though his neurologist wanted him to stay in ICU for the night. Hopefully, he'll be moving to a regular room today.

In the grand scheme of things, he was very lucky. He fed himself quite easily yesterday, just more slowly than usual, but that's a good thing, anyway, and he's eating everything in sight (so that part hasn't changed about him!) and he can speak well, just sometimes forgetting a word, which frustrates him, but he'll get better.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

You're in our thoughts. Hopefully things get progressively better. (Sounds like they are, per your latest comment.) Fortunately you're able to be there during this critical time.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home