Monday, August 27, 2007

Writer Rant ...

Poking around Craigslist today, I spied a posting for a "Financial Copywriter for a Large Financial Website."

I know nothing much about finance, but I clicked on the link.

In a nutshell, this person is seeking, ideally, a college graduate with journalism experience whose responsibilities will include:

- Writing articles for our main website and sub-sites
- Reviewing and editing the current content posted on the site
- Writing, editing, and reviewing posts to our company blog
- Reviewing and editing press releases before they are sent out
- Learning about the debt/credit/loan industries and keeping up on the latest news and trends


Well, that's quite a lot of responsibility for a Large Financial Website.

Let's take a look at the compensation, shall we?

- $1500 per month to start. Review after 6 months with possible pay increase, based on individual and company results
- No benefits at first.
- Performance-based incentives and bonuses.
- Compensation is based on spending a minimum of 5 days per week working from the office. If you would like to telecommute, we will have to negotiate a lower rate.


I thought I might be seeing a typo, so I wrote to the poster to confirm that he did indeed mean $1,500 per month, not per week. He replied with, "Sorry, this position has been filled."

Well, darn. I missed my chance to work a "minimum of 5 days per week" for "$1500 per month."

When are people going to get a clue? You can't pay a professional writer with journalism experience $18,000 a year, GROSS, and expect them to work a "minimum of five days per week."

Writing is a valuable skill. If everyone could do it well, no one would need to hire writers.

And, you get what you pay for.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

And, you get what you pay for.

Presumably, they will. ;-)

Or, as someone once told me at a dead-end job I once worked, "they want to make it so that any idiot can do this job. Because eventually, any idiot will."

Idiocracy indeed.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Wow. You know, $1500 is almost as much as I make, and I've been at my job for three years....

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Alison said...

Heh. Have you read Craiglist Curmudgeoon?

4:46 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ohmygosh, Alison! I didn't know about CC! So fab! Thanks!

"Ass."

: o )

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home