Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Not Enough ...

Have I mentioned how utterly sickened and disgusted I am that that book is going to be published after all? You know the one I mean. I won't include the title or the "author's" name because I don't want my blog showing up in any searches about it. Or him.

Today I read that Barnes & Noble won't be stocking it in the stores, but it will be available through special order and online. Borders will stock it but won't promote it.

Jesus, I'd hope not. I wish they wouldn't stock it at all.

This isn't censorship I'm talking about, it's decency. That man and his ghostwriter absolutely have every right to pen the "hypothetical" account. I was thrilled beyond thrilled when the project was killed last year because of public outrage.

But now, the book has been revived, with a small-time publisher bringing it to market.

What is that publisher thinking? That publishing this book will be good publicity? That it will put its little publishing house on the map? I wonder if anyone who works there has stopped to think that this might be the last book they every publish. If you were an author, would you want your book published by this house? I sure as hell wouldn't. I would instruct my agent to expressly not include that publisher when shopping around my manuscript.

But I'd have far more respect for a publisher for refusing to print those pages. Every publisher has the right to pass on this project. I wish they would.

Sadly, though, this book will see the light of day. I wish that the booksellers would refuse to carry it. I wish someone along the production line would take a stand and prevent anyone from making a dime off of such a heinous act. I don't care if some of the proceeds will go a foundation that helps families who have been affected by violent crime.

If there's any decency left in this country, this book will languish on shelves and there will be no money made.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jay said...

I couldn't agree more. We should all boycott that publisher.

I guess the only positive thing that could come of this is if the families of the victims are able to recover some monetary compensation for it, because I believe the killer in this case still owes them quite a bit in damages from the civil suit.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

I know which book you're talking about and I could agree more. To me it is simply a literary atrocity (who writes a book about "what if I killed someone," especially when they were the prime suspect...), and more evidence that he is the real killer.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The book is being published so the families of the victims can recover some of the money they won in the civil case against the man who was acquitted in criminal court. It's disgusting, but it's even more disgusting that that's how the justice system works. Without this book, the families would get nothing. But as a journalist, I'd also offer Voltaire's take: I don't agree with what you say, but I defend to the death you're right to say it.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah, yes, Anon, it's a fine quote. Thing is, I'm not denying the man the right to say it. I'm just wishing the publishers would invoke their right not to publish it for him.

As for them recovering some money, they've gotten along this far without it. I can't imagine who, in good conscience, could spend any of this money.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous girlanddog said...

Sadly, there are so many morbose people in this world, that you can just bet they are waiting eagerly for the book to come out. Sad, sad day for us all...

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand how someone could possibly have the nerve to write a book like this. Sorry but the guy's an idiot.
What's your guess on how many will be sold?

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home