Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Calling All Arks ...

The rain. My God, the rain.

What the hell is with all the rain?

We've had entire days of rain. And yesterday, the sun came out, and – poof! – insta-sauna.

My plants are drowning. There's not time for them to dry out in between showers. Or thunderstorms. Or microbursts. Lightning striking trees and falling limbs taking out power lines. Sump pit issues. The plumber was here Monday and is supposed to come back tomorrow (we agreed it was silly for him to work in the rain since the problem wasn't dire and immediate), but ha ha! Joke's on him! It'll be raining again tomorrow morning!

I used to like thunderstorms. In the midst of all that power, I'd be safe and dry inside. But now that I'm a homeowner who's had near-misses with water in her furnished basement, storms just freak me out. The plumber is coming back – sometime – for a "better safe than sorry" service: my problem seems to have resolved itself, but we agree that it's worth him rodding out my sewer line just to be sure everything's clear. I'd rather spend $150 on preventative maintenance than have to throw out my furniture and rip out all my carpet and drywall in the basement if I got water.

Meanwhile, we're going to get socked again tonight. Look at what's coming our way:



Today on the news, the weather lady said that Chicago's August average for rainfall is like 4.5 inches, and as of this morning, the official accumulation at O'Hare was 6.3-something. And there's rain in the forecast between tonight and Saturday.

Today, while carrying my recycle bin back from the curb to my garage, I saw cicada carcasses on my driveway and wondered, "Why am I seeing you now?"

Unless they were locusts. In which case, we're all seriously screwed. Hey, I saw The Seventh Sign. I know what to look for! If you go out tomorrow, beware rivers turning to blood and birds falling from the sky, OK? Though, even if you saw them, there's not a damn thing you could do about it.

Only Demi Moore can replenish the Guff.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

Here we've got the exact opposite problem. Not enough rain. Why is it always too little or too much?

12:19 PM  
Anonymous girlanddog said...

How about sending some to San Diego? The last time it *rained* here (more like a sprinkle) was... oh... February. I'm serious.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Believe me, friends, if I could control the weather and wave it on to other parts of the country that need it, I'd be happy to do it.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home