Wednesday, August 01, 2007

'300' ...

I meant to see this movie in the theater. Clearly this is a movie that was meant to be seen on the big screen. But, as with so many movies, I didn't get around to it.

But even though I didn't see it when it was in release, I bought the DVD, knowing it's a movie I want in my collection.

And not just for the unfathomably hot Gerard Butler - good God, the abs on that man - but for the style of the film. It's a visual feast. As I'm watching it, I'm realizing that a new job title was created in Hollywood for this film: CGI blood-spatter inserter.

Whew, the fight scenes! Outstanding. I'm not squeamish anyway, but these battles are so hyperstylized, the violence doesn't bother me. I found myself often saying, "Yeah!" when the Spartans got especially creative with their slaughter.

Butler was perfectly cast as King Leonidas. I can't imagine anyone else in the role. He totally owned this performance. Contrast that with the softie he played in Dear Frankie. And hey, I just noticed on IMDb that we share the same birthday. Same day. Same year.

And Xerxes, so pierced and otherwise ornamented, looked familiar. Holy crap, it's Rodrigo Santoro a k a Karl from Love Actually.

I've seen a couple of reviews, balking at the storyline. Storyline, schmoryline, this film isn't so much about the story as about the experience. There's a lot of Gladiator in this movie, but I liked Gladiator a lot, too.

And Braveheart. And Rob Roy. And not just for Liam Neeson in a kilt. I like epic movies with massive battle scenes.

Then again, I like fluffy chick flicks, too.

I'm a cinenigma!

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

You're not a cinenigma - though that's a cool word, and that's coming from an editor-type not really into creating new words. You're - gasp! - open-minded when it comes to your film preferences! Shocking that you could be so broad in your tastes!

300 kicked serious ass. I can't wait for the sequel, 301 ... to be followed by the tongue-in-cheek Leonidas' 302 and, finally, for the kids, 303 Dalmatians.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yeah, I just liked the word "cinenigma"! But truly, I know a lot of women who are skeeved out by movies with big, bloody battle scenes. But I dig 'em.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

This has been my favourite movie all year. I got to see it on my birthday. I wanted to see it because a.) it was based on the Frank Miller graphic novel of the same name and b.) both the movie and the graphic novel are based on the historical Battle of Thermopylae, a battle that literally changed history. Okay, it's not quite historically accurate, but it does capture the spirit of the battle!

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home