Monday, July 30, 2007

Woo Hoo! ...

I saw The Simpsons Movie on Saturday.

But first, I sat through eleven commercials and PSAs before I was privileged to watch four trailers and then an ad for the theater and then one more trailer. The showtime was listed as 6:10 p.m. The movie started at 6:30 p.m.

Twenty minutes of crap?

As I walked past the concession stand (I don't eat stuff in theaters), I noticed the prices for some of the combos. Um, hello? No popcorn-and-pop combo should begin with $11.

A dad was there with his three young kids. They were happy to be munching on a bag of popcorn half as big as they were. I don't think they got most of the jokes in the movie.

As for me, I got the jokes. I just didn't think there were enough of them. I liked the movie well enough, but after being on the air for 18 seasons, I think it must be really hard to pull off a feature-length movie and have it live up all the hype, eighteen years worth of hype, really.

Still, I'm pleased that it did so well at the box office this weekend, considering that the theater I saw it in was maybe a third full. But it was a weird time on a Saturday to see a movie. I'm sure more people showed up for later shows, after dinner.

A cameo character says one line that made the entire experience worth the nine bucks. Even though it takes damn near forever to draw The Simpsons, it still manages to stay really timely.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I can remember the old days when they showed cartoons and trailers before movies instead of commercials...

Anyway, maybe I'll get to see The Simpsons Movie this weekend...

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Mikeachim said...

It does seem an odd concept. We've had over 155 hours of The Simpsons, and now we're expected to go loopy over a particular hour or so more of it?

The movie sounds fun - but I've still got 18 boxsets to buy and watch (during which I'll realise I've seen three-quarters of each already).

I still love how subversive The Simpsons is - so many truly cutting barbs fired under the radar at the Western lifestyle / governments / media. Breathtaking, sometimes. Very clever TV.

That's the power of humour. If it's funny enough, you can get away with anything. If you're not (the US remake of 'Coupling' on NBC springs to mind), you have nothing to say and people will line up to kick you. That's the danger of humour, too.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I felt the exact same way! I liked the movie, but didn't love it, and I think my boyfriend and I must have dropped 40 dollars to be jammed into uncomfortable seats for an hour and a half.

I still love Homer though.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home