Saturday, July 14, 2007

Simple Things ...

God DAMN, I love technology!

Of course, when it's on the fritz, it wreaks havoc in your life. In online surveys, I always check the "I can't live without my computer" box when it asks about my computer-using habits. I use my computer for work. Working from home, it's my connection to the outside world. Take away my computer or my Internet access and you've just severed my tether. I am adrift in cyberspace. Ground control to Major Tom, indeed.

Happily, technology works most of the time. And so every morning, I schlep out of bed and wander into my office and fire up my computer, then wander around the house opening curtains and such, at which time, my computer is rarin' to go, so click-click-click-click-click, I fire up my mail and browser and three IM programs (because the all-in-one IM software, the name of which I forget at the moment, doesn't support Macs; the fools) and I begin my morning regimen of reading and replying and reading and surfing and clicking.

This morning, though, as I sat in front of my computer, coffee brewing in the next room, I thought, "I just don't feel like sitting here." It's a lovely day outside - for now, anyway - and the thought of sitting in my office on a day off suddenly seemed about as appealing as a cilantro and anchovy smoothie. (As English Teacher Dave so succinctly put it, my house is an anchovy-free zone. Ditto cilantro. It tastes like soap. If I want the taste of soap in my mouth, I'll eat soap, thanks. I don't want my salsa to taste like soap. But I digress.)

Sometimes, it takes me a long time to get going in the morning. I am not a morning person. I am a late-night person. At least I used to be. The definition of "late-night" keeps changing, the older I get. And by "changing," I mean, "keeps getting earlier." Soon, I will want my late-night television programs to air at 8 p.m.

But this morning, my brain seemed to be firing on all cylinders right off the bat.

"I can sit outside!" I realized. Yes sirree, with a laptop and a wireless connection, I could drink my coffee and read my blogs outside on my deck.

Which is where I am right now.

This is the view from where I'm sitting:



The breeze is blowing. I have a tray to my right containing my thermal carafe of coffee and my bottle of coffee goo (hazelnut, always) and a bottle of water and an extra mug, in case my neighbor wanted to come over for a cup of coffee. I have a wireless speaker out here, so I'm listening to my stereo (though I could be streaming an Internet radio station through my computer) and the CD of my tunes just came up in my CD player, so I'm sitting on my deck listening to myself, which seems self-absorbed, but it's actually rather pleasant, to listen to these songs ambiently instead of listening to them intently and picking them apart, which is what I do most of the time.

I had the foresight to grab my phone, too - wireless! - so I wouldn't have to run inside if anyone called. Which my mom just did. She's going to come over for a cup of coffee. "I'm on my deck," I said. So I'll have a use for the extra coffee cup after all.

In the distance, someone is playing "The Star-Spangled Banner" on what sounds like a clarinet.

It's just about the best Saturday morning ever.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mercurie said...

I think there are times one has to get away from the computer, as much as I love mine even. And pleasant summer days are a good time to do (something we have very few of here..usually it's 90 something degrees out with high humidity...).

10:17 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, you're totally right that summer is a good time to get away from this box. But I'm an addict now. I'm like Pavlov's dog. When I hear the "Ding!" of my e-mail, I immediately want to see what's arrived.

But believe you me, I won't be behind this screen all day (though it's just occuring to me that I could sit out here and work on my screenplay!). I'll shut it down shortly and get about my day. It's really perfection outside. I think I'll take a walk to the farmers' market. How's *that* for summery behavior?!

: o )

10:21 AM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

I've actually spent a lot more time on the computer this summer since there's nothing worthwhile on TV other than Rescue Me and the 4400.

Looks like you have a nice place.

You know, I actually feel sorry for people who don't drink coffee. I realize it's an addiction but there are few things I enjoy more than being brought back to life by that first cup in the morning.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Summer is a good time to catch up on movies. Though my Netflix haven't been back and forth as much as I'd like lately.

Thanks. I love my home.

As for coffee, I drink decaf. I know, I know. But for me, it's more about the ritual of drinking it, not the caffeine buzz. There's just something about Sunday morning and the paper and coffee. Once, I was drinking way too much Starbucks (in an office I worked in, we had Starbucks coffee for the coffee maker) and my heart was racing from all the caffeine. I decided I was going to quit coffee, cold turkey. And Dave said, "But we like something warm to drink in the morning." I think of that whenever I have coffee, as it's not a daily thing for me. It is nice to have something warm to drink in the morning.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home