Friday, July 06, 2007

The Police, Wrigley Field, July 5, 2007 ...

Randomly, throughout the evening, Tracy said, "We're not old."

But maybe we are. I just got home from seeing The Police and I'm noshing on raw broccoli and blue cheese dip. Raw broccoli. Kids don't eat raw broccoli at 1:23 a.m. Thank God I had some sweet potato fries at Salt & Pepper Diner before the show. I mean, I went to a concert. I had to eat something bad. I didn't drink.

We were waiting for a table at S&P and started chatting with a couple women behind us. We ended up sharing a four-top with them because the joint was jammed and we were united in the sisterhood of lusting after Sting.

Later, Tracy and I made our way into The Friendly Confines and were instructed to get green wristbands. Because we had seats on the field. As we made our way to our row, Fiction Plane was just finishing the opening set. Fiction Plane is fronted by Joe Sumner. As in Sting's son. Joe looks freakishly like his dad. That's him, below:














Some pictures will be better than others, I'm guess. Hey, it's a camera phone. Cut me some slack.

Speaking of being on the field (we could have played shortstop), this is the view from my seat, looking toward the stadium (duh). The Police hadn't yet taken the stage:



And then they did. You've gotta love a show that opens with a gong. Andy took the stage, then Stewart, then my boy, our boy, every girl's boy (and, for that matter, many boys' boy, I'm sure). We must pause for a moment so I can say, "His arms. My God, his arms." I'm not sure if I've disclosed before that I have a big thing for men's arms. Hands, wrists, and forearms, especially, but biceps are good, too. Note to my male readers (Ahem!, Dave), if you've got the guns, take a fashion cue from Sting and wear a sleeveless white shirt and tight black pants. Oh. My.

Could he be any hotter? Truly, the man just gets better with age:














Before the show started, I asked Tracy what she thought they'd open with. She guessed Message in a Bottle. I thought they might go with Roxanne as it's the song that started it all, but I picked Synchronicity II. They opened with Message in a Bottle and followed it with Synchronicity II. Are we good or what?

I marveled at Sting's bass. I wonder if it's the one with which he began his career because not only is the varnish worn off, some of the wood of the body is missing. Clearly, that axe has seen a lot of sets.

And as Tracy said in the car on the way home, while we listened to The Police: Live!, there's just so much sound. For three guys, a drum kit, a bass, and a guitar, they make a lot of music. It's not a show full of prerecorded backing tracks. It's them.

Here's a decent shot of the video screens at the back of the stage:














And here's a shot of me and Tracy in which I managed to not cut off our heads. Tracy and I have been friends since I was 4. We've been in love with Sting since high school. Tracy is the one who turned me on to The Police in the first place. Not that I wasn't familiar with their music, but I got serious about them because Tracy had Ghost in the Machine in her car. Trac, I think it was the Monte.



And this is just a cool long shot of the stage:



And this is a cooler long shot of the stage:



Ooh, and another. Red for Roxanne:



And speaking of Ghost in the Machine:



And in blue. At the moment, I don't remember which song they were playing with this light effect:



And the effects got progressively cooler and the evening wound down:



And ended in a near-blinding blaze of glory:




Jay, we'll have to catch up. Doreen, woulda, shoulda, coulda, but you should have gone!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just knew when I logged in at 815a that you would already have a post about the concert :). Was an absolutely fab show, and NO we're not old!
TB
PS that pic is yet another reminder that I HAVE to get in to see JD

8:30 AM  
Anonymous girlanddog said...

Yes, nothing is sexier than strong-man arms. That's why I got me a rock climber. ;)

If there's one concert I wish I could go to, it would be Sting. You're so lucky!!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Trac - Gotta blog while it's fresh! No, we're not old. Not us. No way. Never. And your hair will look lovely in a week!

girl - Ooooh. ROCK CLIMBER. Well, that's just brilliant! I've been to see Sting many times, but this was my first-ever Police show. And, probably, my last.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Good to hear you enjoyed the concert. To tell the truth, I've been a little worried about The Police. At least the media has behaved as if they aren't what they used to be. It's good to hear they can still give a good show.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I just read Greg Kot's review from the Tribune and I thought he was harsh.

There were a lot of factors to pick apart last night.

1) The venue. On the one hand, it's cool to play open-air venues during the summer. On the other hand, the sound becomes an issue. Speakers are blasting sound away from the stage, but there's little for the sound to bounce off of, so people in the stands aren't getting the full effect of the music.

2) The age of the crowd. In the row in front of me was an older woman (easily into her 60s, which I thought was fabulous, but she, understandably, sat through the show. Also in front of us, a woman with her leg in a cast and on crutches. So she wasn't on her feet the whole time. There's only so much rockin' you're gonna get out of a average-40-something crowd.

3) Sting is a jazz musician who got his start in punk rock. When I read that the band was tinkering with the arrangements of some tracks, I thought, "No, dammit! We've waiting 24 years to see you. We want album cuts!" But they've all matured as musicians, so it's fair to let their music evolve.

Was it the best concert I've ever been to? Nope. But was it a good time for a long-time fan? Yep.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but Sting looks like a weenie next to Rafa Nadal. Now, THOSE are delts. And biceps.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, I think it's just a matter of taste, Anon. I'm into guys with defined-yet-"sculptural" arms, not overly pumped up.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home