Monday, July 09, 2007

The Countdown Is On ...

A month from tomorrow, I'll embark upon my fourth Breast Cancer 3-Day.

On Wednesday evening, a fellow walker and I are hosting a pre-walk workshop for those who haven't participated in the event before.

Tonight, I met her for the first time. We've traded plenty of e-mail since our coach asked us to host an event, but tonight was our first face-to-face meeting.

We talked for two hours.

That's what I love about the 3-Day. It is such a unifying experience. Even total strangers are fast friends.

I adore Jen. She's a hoot. And she drives a Prius! We covered a lot of conversational ground tonight, from brief bios to why we walk to how challenging it is to raise money year over year. We hesistate to go back to the same contributors over and over, and yet some ask us year after year if we're walking again. It's truly heartwarming that they continue to give.

But we also understand that everyone's circumstances are subject to change. What's feasible one year may not be feasible the next.

What we know for sure, though, is that everyone is with us in spirit, and that support carries us over those 60 miles over those three days.

I'm in the final fund-raising stretch now. I'd like to raise $5,000 this year, a reasonable goal, I reckon.

As Jen pointed out tonight, if I consider my past events, I've raised nearly $10,000 to date. I'd never thought of it that way before. But now I'm newly inspired to sail past that mark. If you'd like to find out more or make a contribution, visit my 3-Day web page.

If you'll be in Chicago on August 12, I'd love to see you at Montrose Harbor. If closing ceremonies don't move you, you might want to check to see if you have a pulse. Look for me. I'm sure I'll be the tallest woman there.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the Grammar Police!

"Me and a fellow walker are hosting a workshop"?

Please fix.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

D'oh! Sorry.

9:00 AM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

That's great. I'll try to send you a contribution.

On a side note, have you ever wondered why we have to do fundraisers for medical issues and yet we're blowing 12 billion a month on our two wars?

We're really fucked up.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, j. I appreciate your consideration.

And yeah, it's like that guy says in "Sicko": If we can spend money to kill people, we can spend money to help people.

Of course, he's talking about Britain. We haven't evolved that far in this country.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home