Sunday, July 22, 2007

Apparently, It Depends On The Book ...

As I mentioned in this post, my attention span varies greatly from book to book. Some languish for week - months, even - on my beside table.

Others do not.

I bought Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows yesterday. I cracked it open last night around 6 p.m.

I just turned the last page, page 759.

Taking into account time to sleep and time to eat meals and such, I think that's a new personal best.

Part of my consumption can be attributed to J.K.'s amazing gift for storytelling. And part of my consumption - the larger part - can be attributed to my fear that I was going to inadvertently read or hear the "big secret" before I'd gotten to the end of the book, and the next few days would be exponentially more difficult to navigate if I had to spend them with my fingers in my ears the whole time saying, "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

And so, I say farewell to the Harry Potter series. I'm sure I'll read my books again someday, but when I do, I'll know all the endings.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

I was up until 2am Sunday morning, and was within striking distance of the end but my body gave out. So I finished it off around 10am today. Thanks to spoiler-happy [jerks] we had to declare a full media blackout until we finished.

Or as I called our Harry Potter experience, "the game of competitive reading comprehension." Ugh. Glad it's over for that reason.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ugh? There should be no "ugh" affiliated with Harry Potter!

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home