Thursday, June 14, 2007

With Self-Improvement You Get Eggroll ...

I wrote this on Friday, May 11th, at 8:09 p.m., on a piece of paper, to key into my blog later. I just ran across it while sifting through piles of crap in my office.

This is auspicious. I am in a restaurant, by myself, and I am going to eat dinner. Did I mention that I'm by myself? I have never eaten in a restaurant by myself. Starbucks or some such, sure, but never in a restaurant with table service. Oh, unless you count Corner Bakery, but you can't, not really, because you order at the counter and then they bring the food to your table. But then they don't come back.

This is the baby-step method of taking the dining plunge. Because this is Mama's**, my favorite Chinese place. It's not really called Mama's, but every time I walk in, the owner, the cutest Chinese woman ever, asks, "How's your mama?" So it's not like I'm at some white tablecloth, flatware, and stemware joint. If this place wasn't clean, you'd call it a dive. Not much to look at, but when the food is this fabulous, really, who needs decor?

Eggroll down, steaming plate of chicken with peapod to go. I mean, to eat. Not to take with. Oh. My. God. What do they put in their food? Crack?

Oh, now business is picking up. Good thing. Mama says that business has really dropped off since she moved from Waveland, where we first met. I don't know how that's possible. These people know everybody, can chat with anyone who walks in.

Heaven on a plate, this stuff.

Of course, I'm cheating by writing this. I'm not just sitting here and eating. But I didn't plan on coming here - or anywhere, for that matter - so I didn't bring a book or a paper.

Hey, look at me: I'm growing. New experiences are good. Gotta stretch those boundaries. And I'll be going to Brandi Carlile by myself, too. But I've gone to concerts alone before.

My fortune in my cookie: You have a deep appreciation of music and arts.

I didn't end up going to Brandi. After driving around for a half hour, looking for a parking space anywhere near Schuba's, I gave up and went home. But Dave went, and said it was a great show. She's really fabulous. If you don't know her music, check her out.

**Mama's is really New Life Chinese Food on Irving Park Road, just east of Ashland. I highly recommend, well, everything. But Mama knows I always order the pork fried rice. Or the chicken with peapod. Or the chicken with almond. Really, you have to go. And if she ever has to close, I'll see you at the support group and we'll get over our addiction together.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your link on Whoorl!

Love your writing!

All good things,
T

12:49 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, thank you, T! Always pleased to have a new reader and commentor.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Please, please, specify which of the 6 Dave's we're talking about. That way we can read something into your comments.

For instance, if it were LA Dave, we could say, "Hey, I wonder why LA Dave was in Chicago. Can anybody say Turtles on a Ferry?"

Or, if it were English Teacher Dave, we could think, "Hmm, I wonder if he was critiquing the spelling."

Or if it was College Boyfriend Dave, we could think...well this is a G rated blog so we won't think that way...

2:14 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah, sorry, Jeff. Long ago, in a post about all the Daves, I mentioned that Dave is Music Dave aka Composer Dave aka Kurtis Dave. As the alpha Dave, he's referred to simply as Dave. All other Daves take modifiers.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Ah, I didn't have my "Pocket Reference to Beth's Daves" handy at the time.

Music Dave == Dave
Music Dave == Dave
Music Dave == Dave
Music Dave == Dave


OK, committed to memory now.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yes, I'll have laminated cards made up for all my readers!

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home