Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tragedie Gastronomique ...

"No!"

I had just opened my weekly Dish, the weekly Chicago magazine e-newsletter of all things food, and read the third item of Things To Do:

3. Go to Allen’s New American Cafe (217 W. Huron St.; 312-587-9600), Allen Sternweiler’s River North favorite, before it closes for good on August 18th.

Allen's is, hands down, my favorite restaurant in Chicago. Last year, I hosted my birthday lunch there (recounted here in ridiculous detail) and wondered why I had ever hosted my lunch anywhere else. I made a vow that day to have my birthday lunch there annually henceforth. (You can peek inside our private room, the Board Room, here; click on the image for the virtual tour and then select Private Dining Room.)

Well, not anymore.

How could he leave me? I adore Allen. I adore Allen's food. His menus are works of art. Oh, foraged wild mushrooms sauteed with brandy and finished with herb butter, how can we part when we've only just met?

I needed an explanation. Luckily, Phil Vettel at the Tribune had the skinny. How could Chicago simply dump such news on me without elucidation? Has it no soul?

Allen will likely return to the Chicago restaurant scene, though not by November.

In the meantime, I must make one last visit to my beloved restaurant. I encourage you to do the same.

I'll see you there.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jurgen Nation said...

I am SO borrowing "Tragedie Gastronomique." Brilliant, Beth.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Glad you like, Stac. Sometimes, the headlines are the most fun to write.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home