Tuesday, June 26, 2007

This Post Is Not About Michael Moore ...

As Phoebe on Friends would say, "Back to happy! Back to happy!"

My post on SiCKO generated a lot of comments and I think that's fabulous. Really. Nothing like striking a chord with people, even if they're playing a different tune. Sometimes it seems like it's become taboo for us to talk to each other about anything of substance. There seems to be a big rift in this country, but Kumbaya, people! Kumbaya!

And a deep breath in ...

And a deep breath out ...

There now. Don't we all feel a little bit better? Go ahead, smile, just for the hell of it. Think of a warm puppy. Eat a gumdrop.

I bet you're wondering, "What exactly is this post about, Beth?" I have no idea. My day was boring. I sat at my desk all day and edited a document that should be torn into little bits and pressed into tablets of Ambien.

Then again, I did get a freelance assignment to write about decorating cookies for a holiday entertaining publication. You gotta love lead times. Cookies in July!

But maybe this post is about Anne Coultier. Yes, I know that's not the correct spelling, but I don't want my blog to come up in any searches for her name.

I was disgusted to see her on Good Morning America yesterday. I don't understand why a well-respected news organization would give that woman a forum.

Does she keep wearing the same dress or does she have a closet full of the same one?

I'm not suggesting that she doesn't have a right to spew her vitriol. I won't selectively apply the First Amendment, but nor do we need to give her outlets. She has her column (thankfully dropped by newspapers more and more) and she has her books (though I wonder why anyone buys them).

In a video on MSNBC, Elizabeth Edwards calls in during a segment with Coultier to ask her to please stop her hateful speech. Anne, not surprisingly, turns Edwards' words around and says, "Oh, you're asking me not to speak?" Edwards calmly reiterates, repeatedly, that she'd like Anne to stop the hate-filled speech and engage in useful discourse. As if a polite request will even register in that woman's brain.

(Thanks to j. marquis's blog for pointing me toward the video, which I watched against my "No Anne Ever" better judgment. The photo that accompanies the post is priceless.)

So here I am, talking about the big rift in this country and how we should be all Kumbaya, and I bring up Anne Coultier, surely a more polarizing figure than the man about whom this post is not.

Release the hounds!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

I was born British. Now I'm an American citizen - have been for many years. I've enjoyed readng your blog and have three things to say:

1. The UK National Health Service is in ruins. It doesn't work. It has been underfunded for decades. The quality of care is very low. And it's NOT free as American's seem to think it is!

2. They often base their judgments on the Canadian system. Unfair comparison - Canada has so few people.

3. Whoever "anonymous" is should have the nerve to post his criticism with a name attached.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Interesting, Dave. Good to have an 'insider's" perspective on NHS.

Glad you enjoy reading and glad to have another Dave in the fold! I seem to only meet guys named Dave. Perhaps we can extrapolate that Anon's name is Dave, too!

11:04 PM  
Blogger J. Marquis said...

Sorry I lured you into viewing Ann, I'm such a bad influence.

God, I would just love to see her carried off by a giant condor and fed to the chicks...

11:11 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah, that's funny, j.!

So, condors, they're Democrats, I take it?

11:13 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

When you are told by doctors that the cancer has spread and that you basically are going to die from it - maybe sooner, maybe later - that often can flip a switch inside you. Things you wouldn't have the balls to do before can become very easy for you to take care of.

Elizabeth Edwards has terminal cancer. So, she may have though as she dialed the phone to confront the "woman" who, for whatever reason, has targeted her husband and her family for personal destruction, "What can Anne Coultier do to me?" Well, now we know what Mrs. Edwards can do to Ms. Coultier.

They're going to play this clip on the news the night Elizabeth Edwards passes away. I'll cry that night just as I cried today when I read the transcript this evening.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Jay. I'm the anon from the previous entry. I'm a conservative republican and somehow found myself on your site after googling Michael Moore's recent movie. By the way, is 'google' a verb now? I like that. Anyway, it's obvious our views are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. I won't bring any bad karma here. Kumbaya and all that, right? Happy blogging.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hi, Jay.

You might be pleased to know that most of my posts have nothing to do with politics if you'd like to stick around.

And yep, "google" is a verb these days. English, it's a crazy language. And speaking of your conservative views, I think it should be the official language in this country. Buying a box of crackers that's printed in English on one side and Spanish on another drives me batty.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, now I've got the warm fuzzies.
I'll be back to visit your site.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous girlanddog said...

Oh. My. Gawd. I started watching the video but couldn't get past the first minute and a half. There are no words to describe the despicable nature of that woman. Unfortunately, there's a large group of ignorant, sheep-like US citizens (like the moron with the "Marry me, Anne" sign) who will support her and the hateful garbage she spews.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Great, just what this blog needs, another Dave....

Just in case you need a cute puppy pic to look at.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Mercurie said...

Coultier (I'll follow your lead and misspell your name). She just seems to be one person who never fails to get me angry. Given she has nothing worth listening to, I tend to avoid her. Indeed, this might sound mean of me, but I've often wonder if she is even a she!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

mercurie - You're not alone in your wondering. Several friends have had the same thought.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Doreen said...

No one has commented on many people's suspicion she may actually be a man ... have you seen her adam's apple?
Not that there is anything wrong with that ... it just adds to the number of self loathing miscreants that make up the Republican party.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home