Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I'm In Love ...

I've always had a thing for older men. Maybe it's because they're more inclined to be gentlemen. Maybe it's because they're more world-wise. Maybe it's because I'm an old soul.

I've known this man for a long time. Our relationship was casual at first, but in the past year or so, it's really deepened. I realize now just how much respect I have for him, and how vital respect is in a relationship. Trust, too. Trust and respect are two halves of a whole.

And then there's the impish sense of humor - but only when it's called for. Women like men who are funny, but some men try too hard. It takes someone seasoned to know when to turn it off. And it takes someone special, someone secure, to be with you through the bad times, too. Someone who knows just the right things to say.

But most of all, there's that intangible quality, that connection that you simply feel or you don't. You can't manufacture it. But if it's there, it's unmistakable. You can see it in his eyes and you know.

Sometimes, after a painful goodbye, you think you'll never feel this way about any other man. But sometimes, you get lucky.

Yes, I am in love. With Charlie Gibson.

I'm an unabashed news junkie. You can take the girl out of the newspaper, but you can't take the newspaper out of the girl. I start every morning reading news sites and I check them - perhaps a bit compulsively - throughout the day. But when 5:30 rolls around, I stop whatever I'm doing for my date with Charlie.

I was heartbroken when Peter Jennings died. When he signed off, his voice raspy, his illness already advanced, I knew he'd never return to his anchor chair.

Peter was my guidepost on 9/11. I tuned in early and didn't tune out for days. I wrote a note to him after those immediate hours, praising his poise under pressure. He was a true newsman at the helm of a crisis, unwilling to hand over control to another member of his crew.

And I stayed up late into the early morning with him in Novmber 2004, watching the returns, refusing to believe that Bush was headed back to the White House for another term. Surely, if I hung in with him, the tide would turn and I wouldn't have to wake up to such nonsensical news.

But Peter passed away. And Charlie was there, hosting in the morning, anchoring at night. But a legend is not easily replaced. And so ABC tried to fill Peter's unfillable shoes with two very capable journalists, but that didn't last.

And Charlie was there again. This time, he stayed.

I have been entirely faithful to him. Even when the Couric craze reached its fever pitch, I didn't waver. I wasn't one of the millions who tuned in to CBS. I didn't watch Katie on Today so I had no interest in watching her at night.

I love Charlie's broadcast, the thoughtful mix of stories, the interplay between him and the correspondents. I love that his broadcast begins with that authoritative voiceover, "This is World News with Charles Gibson," but everyone calls him Charlie, even himself.

But most of all, I love the way his broadcast ends: "I'm Charlie Gibson, and I hope you had a good day. For everyone here at ABC News, have a good night."

Even his sign-off is sincere.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Congratulations, Beth. I'm sure that you and Charlie will be happy for many years to come - or at least until November 2008, when he's set to step aside to make way for no less than Diane Sawyer, who's pretty easy on the eyes herself - if I do say so myself. And I say so. So there.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, one of those "very capable journalists" that ABC used to try to fill Peter Jennings' shoes was Bob Woodruff. And a big reason it didn't last was that Bob Woodruff lost a large chunk of his head while on assignment for ABC in Iraq.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yes, I'm well-aware of that. And I'm thrilled that he's back on the air and reporting. But I think ABC gambled with the two-anchor format. The viewers of nightly news are traditionally older (I'm an exception, though I'm getting up there myself!) and we like our news from a single, authoritative source. Even if Bob wasn't gravely injured, I wonder how long he and Elizabeth would have lasted as a team. And then she got pregnant and took time off and ABC installed Charlie. And I think it was the right choice. Clearly. His numbers continue to climb.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous girl and dog said...

Older men are the best! When someone asks me to name my favorite Hollywood hunks, the honor goes to Sean Connery, not Brad Pitt.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but he's no Walter Cronkite.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Nope, he's not. But then, who is? Walter is the epitome of a newsman. Right alongside Edward R. Murrow.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home