Friday, May 18, 2007

I Can't Make Myself Go '-pee' ...

Ah, I love the title of this post. There's nothing like potty humor to make you giggle.

Because I'm talking about a syllable in a song, the last syllable, actually, the last pain-in-the-ass syllable of Makin' Whoopee, specifically the rendition performed by Michelle Pfeiffer in The Fabulous Baker Boys. It's a high note, a high, sustained note. I can manage the sustain, it's the high part that's the problem. My voice is very decidedly an alto and the muscles around my vocal chords that make the higher notes possible clearly haven't gotten the necessary workout.

All that aside, I love this song. I love the simple accompaniment, suitable for singing in piano bars everywhere. L.A. Dave would prefer it if I sang this song wearing a slinky dress and opera gloves, but I've told him it ain't gonna happen, so he just imagines it instead.

When Brian and I were listening to this on Saturday, he turned to me and asked, "Were you a Thespian in high school?" As a matter of fact, I was. He likes the way I color some of the words. As Jon Lovitz would say on SNL, "Acting! Thank you!"

By now, you know the drill: It's a work in progress, blah, blah, blah. But it's a fun take. And the next time I'm in the studio, come hell or high water, I'll myself go -pee.



And if you need it, the direct URL is here.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Instead of trying to imitate the style of singers who have done the various songs you love, why don't you seek and embrace your own style?

10:27 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, that's a fine idea, and trying on different songs is part of finding my style (I'm pretty sure it's this smoky, jazzy genre), but it's hard to sing songs in your own style unless they're wrriten and/or arranged specifically for you, but having a disc of material that I can share with prospective collaborators is a step in the right direction, hence the project at hand.

Also, this in-the-studio time is serving to simply get me more comfortable with singing and recording.

It all serves to excavate "me."

Stay tuned!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Whiskey over ice, that comes from below the diaphragm is best in alto tones.

Sings, writes and bakes, nothing like a triple threat!

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home