Thursday, April 12, 2007

Work In Progress ...

Brian and I finally had the chance to get together this week after a couple of canceled sessions.

It was a weird day. My nerves were shot. Have you ever had one of those days when your body feels like it's revving too high and you really need to downshift but you can't? That was my Tuesday.

So Brian and I spent the first part of the session reviewing past work with thoughts of tweaking one tune into something listenable. But I didn't feel like singing the smoky jazzy stuff.

I stepped into the booth and tried Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me." It's a good song for me, but it wasn't a good song for me that night. So we turned to k.d. lang instead.

I've loved the song "Outside Myself" for a long time. Brian had my copy of Ingenue on his console for, literally, years. But we never got around to recording it. Until Tuesday.

Brian's a doll. I told him that I'd know in a few bars whether or not I wanted to record it, and he said, "Give it a chance."

I laid down two takes and then stepped out of the booth to listen to them on his studio speakers. I stood behind him and winced.

"You've only done two takes!" he said.

Well, leave it to Lil' Miss Perfectionist to allow herself no margin for error.

I laid down a third take and we listened again. Where I didn't like a phrase, he played the other two takes. If we liked one of those phrases better, he plugged it in. For the phrases that just didn't work, I went back into the booth to punch those and he laid them in.

And then he did a bit of magic, adjusting levels and such, and laid the tune off to a disc.

It's still very much a work in progress. There are a lot of things I'd like to smooth over. But I listened to it last night, phrase by phrase, and it holds up, by and large.

Now the challenge is to present it to you.

I found some code on Deepa's web site (in Bangalore, India; don't you love the web?!) that should allow me to present it to you without you having to navigate anywhere else to hear it.

Fingers crossed, kids. If this works, you should be able to just click the Play button below. (It's about a 4MB file, so if you're on dial up, it'll take quite some time for it to load. High-speed users will have no problem.)

Hey, it works!

Remember, it's not done. But I've been talking about singing for so long, it seemed like it was high time that I posted some audio. And you're on the journey with me, so I can share works in progress.

And if you need it, the direct URL is here.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Deepa said...

Thank you for linking and recomending me

7:54 AM  
Blogger OneMan said...

Wow,
Not at all what I expected. Then again I guess I expected to hear your 'radio speaking' voice. I don't remember you singing this well in the Christmas programs ;-)


I am blown away.....

Cool

9:34 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Funny, Henry! Yes, I'm sure my voice was less developed when we were in grade school and singing "Away in a Manger"!

Glad you were able to hear it. Others have been having problems.

And thanks for the kind words.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home