Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Room For Two? ...

Curled up on the couch, laptop on my lap, watching Lost, I just saw a promo for Desperate Housewives in which Susan says, "I'm totally, hopelessly in love with two men."

It raises an interesting quandary: If you love someone, is there room in your heart for anyone else?

I know mothers fret about being able to love their second children as much as their first, and yet, love just expands to encompass them all.

But what about romantic love? You can't love two people with the same intensity at the same time, right? You'll always love one more than the other, and that imbalance seems like it would spell an inevitable end to the relationship that comes up short.

Then again, I wouldn't really know. Maybe you can love two people with the same intensity for different reasons.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Alison said...

I think you can. I know I did at one point. Now? My heart belongs to just one man. :)

8:43 AM  
Anonymous girl and dog said...

I don't think I would call it "love", I would call it attraction. You can be attracted to two or more people for different reasons, but it takes time to really get to know someone enough to "love" them, and I think that part of being in love is knowing that the other person completes you. I think there can only be one TRUE right fit at any one time... But that's just me.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Love. It's funny, huh?

One quick thought, Girl: I'd change the word "completes" to "complements." I don't think anyone can complete another. But I agree with the spirit of your point.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home