Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hello, Imus Be Going ...

I've never listened to Don Imus's show, and now, I never will. At least not on CBS. I wouldn't be surprised if Don ends up on satellite radio (or maybe I would be), but I don't subscribe to satellite radio, so, yeah, my window of Imus opportunity has passed.

What a shame.

I've been chatting all week about this story with friends both pro-Imus and con. And they all have valid points. But even having never heard his show, I found myself in the anti-Imus camp.

He's made a career of being offensive, so I hear. But the "nappy-headed ho" incident isn't just offiensive, it's topped with a big dollop of stupid.

Bernard McGuirk, Imus's producer, was the one to trot out the word "ho" in reference to the Scarlet Knights. Then Don piled on. It's as though he thought, "Oh, that was kinda funny. I should have said that," and he tried to one-up his sidekick. A quick, "That's harsh," and a change of subject would have made sense. But no. I guess such decency would have been out of character for him.

But the bigger problem? These girls didn't deserve such a slur. Not that anyone deserves a slur, but this team is the second-best women's college basketball team in the nation. And maybe their final game of the season wasn't the stuff movies are made of, but "nappy-headed hos"? Seriously?

So good for CBS. I've heard a lot of people trot out the ol' First Amendment defense for Don. Nope, not this time. Imus was paid a lot of money to spout his crap on public airwaves. And the public said, "Enough's enough."

Time has a good piece on who's allowed to say what when, even if the print edition will now be dated, given the firing of Imus earlier today. It's hell to be a weekly in a world of 24-hour news.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Markbnj said...

Hi Beth.

See My comments on Imus

Now, I must say that this is NOT the first time that someone in the PUBLIC eye has screwed up.

I think that this is NOT a matter of "the public voting with the $$$"

BUT A MATTER OF CENSORSHIP PURE AND SIMPLE... THE LARGE CORPORATIONS that CONTROL ALL OUR MEDIA and NEWSPAPERS are NOT ALLOWING freedom of SPEECH.
(no matter how offensive!)

YES, his words were reprehensible, but EVEN JESSE JACKSON (called NYC "Hymie Town"), and
REVEREND AL Sharpton (Tawana Brawley)
Got Second Chances..

AND CBS NOW has Opie and Anthony on the AIR AGAIN, DESPITE complaints from the catholic league about their "SEX for SAM" show that had listeners 'fooling around' in St. Pat's Cathedral


SO WHY no Second chance for Imus?

Read my comments on Imus' show... I think he is old school.

Cheers
Markbnj

1:58 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, Mark, you and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't think this is censorship. CBS and NBC didn't yank him immediately. They yanked him when advertisers decided they wanted nothing to do with Imus's brand of "humor" anymore. Money talks.

It just so happens that they got to frame it as they did because what Imus did was so stupid. These women are so far from "nappy-headed hos" that his comment was magnified to ass-tastic proportions.

And no one's saying he won't get a second chance. Surely there's a station or network out there willing to put him on the air. Probably owned by Fox.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home