Tuesday, March 20, 2007

What You Need To Know About Buying Tickets To See The Police ...

I just sent this to Dave as an FYI, but allow me to FYI y'all.

A big heads up about tickets.com ...

Man, I feel like I just ran a marathon.

Tix for The Police went on sale through the Best Buy presale this morning at 10 a.m.

I got my presale code that allowed me the "opportunity to request seats." Not buy seats, mind you. Request seats. No guarantees, eh?

So I find myself at a static page saying that tix go on sale at 10 a.m. and to please check back later.

About 9:35 a.m., just for kicks, I refreshed the page to see what'd happen.

And I was put into a "virtual waiting room."

I was in line. Online, I was in line to buy tickets. OK, wild, but whatever.

So I'm rooted to my chair as 10 a.m. draws near. The virtual waiting room counts down and refreshes every 30 seconds, and, if appropriate, gives you the "opportunity to request seats." There's that language again.

So 10 a.m. comes and goes.

And 10:05 a.m. comes and goes.

And 10:10 a.m. comes and goes.

And 10:15 a.m. comes and goes.

Totally cruel.

Finally, I get in.

I plug in my Best Buy code that I got earlier in the day.

That takes me to another page on which I have to enter the code as I see it in the box.

I do that.

I get to another page to let me request tickets.

I put in Best Available, 2.

Continue.

I get a "We're sorry. Due to extremely high volume, we were unable to process your request. Please try to submit your request again."

Um, what the heck? Why let people in gradually if your system is still going to be overwhelmed?

I hit "Continue" about 20 times. Nothing.

As Jack Bauer would say, "Dammit!"

I finally get to a page with selected seats.

Don't even bother to see where they are. Whatever. Buy!

I registered with tickets.com earlier in the day so I'd have an account, but nowhere do I see that I can log into that account.

So I enter my info. Luckily, Macs have pre-fill.

I enter my credit card info.

I tell them to mail them to me. (Cheaper than printing them out myself; what's that about? Anyway, I like ticket stubs, not big sheets of paper.)

Buy!

And finally, I get a confirmation screen, at, what, 10:20 a.m.? Later?

So, if you end up going for tickets, take all this into account, especially the virtual waiting room, which opens 30 minutes before tickets go on sale, which I saw mentioned NOWHERE in any of the ticket info I've been reading.

Oh, and the tickets I scored? On the field, almost dead center on the stage.

Next to the soundboard, so the view might be a bit obstructed, but way better than I thought I'd get, having to wait to get in to get them.

So I nabbed a pair of tickets to go see The Police, one of my all-time favorite bands.

And then I screamed really loud.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the random comment, i've been busting my ass to get into tickets.com all morning.

when you were at the tickets.com main page....what did you search for or where did you click to get into the waiting room? I can't even find the link to BUY the tickets on there. I have a presale code already.

thanks
-aaron bauer

1:52 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey, Aaron:

Yeah, doesn't tickets.com suck?! Give me TicketBastard anyday.

I never searched tickets.com directly. Well, I did, but The Police were never an option. Tools. The ticket people, not The Police! : o )

When I got the presale code, I think I clicked on the tickets.com hotlink in on the screen that supplied the code and that took me to a static page telling me tix weren't on sale yet. That's the page I refreshed that dumped me into the waiting room.

Let me see if I can find a link for you in my History ...

Ah ha! Try going here: http://frontline.protected.tickets.com/buy/TicketOnsale?orgid=22315&agency=WRIGSP&poid=5003&roomid=5

And see if you can enter your Best Buy code there.

Let me know how it goes!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you so much!!!! That link worked like a charm and it didnt' even make me wait or anything. Unfortunately i made a last minute decision that 500 was too much for a pair of concert tickets and the stadium seats just wouldn't fulfill my Police watching needs.

So i'm not going. But at least i was able to make that decision myself, instead of not even getting the chance to buy tickets. THANK YOU!!!!

-aaron

2:31 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, so glad it worked!

I'll miss you at the show, but you can bet I'll be devoting a LOT of virtual ink to the show when I get home that night, so you can read my blog and pretend you were there.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home