Friday, March 30, 2007

Start Spreadin' The News ...

I'm leavin' tomorrow, actually, not today, but by this time tomorrow, I'll be a part of it, New York, New York.

Just for a few days.

I go to NYC once a year to meet up with my friend John. As I wrote about him when I was in New York in October, "I come to New York every year to see my friend John. We met on the phone when I interviewed him for a story for the Tribune, and we've been friends ever since. Is this the year he turned 80? I can't remember. Perhaps he's 81. But when it comes to John, age is irrelevant. He is the most fascinating, charming man - ageless."

He's 81, his daughter Ellen was kind enough to confirm, which means he'll shortly turn 82, and still, he's unstoppable. Always game for a meet-up in the city. The first time we met, he was nattily dressed in a black shirt and gray suit with a green tie. Very hip. The last time I saw him, we met in the lobby of the Maritime Hotel (Jagger's hotel of choice when he's in town, I'm told) wearing a white shirt, navy v-neck sweater, and paint-smeared jeans with loafers. Completely adorable.

But John, as much as I love him, isn't the primary object of my affection on this trip. No, this trip has been planned around going to see Kevin Spacey on Broadway in "A Moon for the Misbegotten."

I adore Kevin. Oh, my word, what a brilliant actor.

I wrote a little post about him nearly two years ago. I'd seen him at the House of Blues performing songs from "Beyond the Sea" and craftily sent a letter to him, bypassing his "people." The point of the letter was to praise not only his HOB performance but his doggedness in getting the entire Bobby Darin project onto the screen. And I happened to mention that it would be a hoot to reach into my mailbox someday and pull out a postcard from him.

And one day, I reached into my mailbox and pulled out an envelope which contained a very pretty note card from him. It's framed now, in my TV room. Nice guy, that Kev.

So it's off to New York to see my boy. And to eat. And to shop.

I made a list of places to go and things to do and the "Dining" column is by far the fullest! And I hesitated when it came to Zabar's and Dean & Deluca and Balducci's - are they Shopping or are they Dining? (I opted for Shopping.)

And H&H Bagels. Oh, save me! If I lapse into a carbohydrate coma, just prop me up in my seat on the plane and poke me when we get to Chicago.

My hotel has wifi, so I considered hauling my laptop along with me, but I think I'm going to try being computer-free for a few days. If the withdrawl gets really bad, I'll commandeer my cousin's computer in Brooklyn for a post or two.

Otherwise, I'll be back with highlights on Wednesday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

--And H&H Bagels. Oh, save me! If I lapse into a carbohydrate coma, just prop me up in my seat on the plane and poke me when we get to Chicago.

I never really thought about it before but H&H is in fact the ultimate NYC experience...

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home