Monday, March 19, 2007

Soup! Sweet Jesus, Soup! ...

According to Stanley Burroughs, the father of The Master Cleanser, it is very, very important to break the cleanse as he prescribes.

The first day: Juice. Freshly squeezed orange juice. Diluted at first, then full strength later.

The second day: More juice, then, later in the day, a simple homemade vegetable broth.

The third day: Broth and some of the vegetables, then perhaps salad or some other vegetable-based meal.

Last year, I followed his instructions rather closely.

This year, no so much.

I woke up this morning and thought, "I can have something today!"

Still, I started with juice. Orange juice. Sipped slowly. Two small glasses.

And then chocolate seemed like a good idea. At Whole Foods last week, I bought some Dagoba chocolate, crazy high in cacao content. (Hey, dark chocolate is good for you!) The New Moon bar has 74% cacao and the Mon Cheri bar has 72% cacao. I mean, it's practically health food! So I broke off a small New Moon piece and let it melt in my mouth. Oh, for the love of God. Chocolate. Lovely, dark, bittersweet chocolate. Heaven on my tongue.

I prepped all the veggies for my soup. Even if I wasn't going to eat today, I need to cook today. I just needed to be around food again.

When the soup was finished, I ladled some into a bowl and pureed the rest. I like pureed soup. It's so much more interesting that water with vegetables floating in it. It has body, like a bisque, without the cream. And as it's only vegetables and water, with a few herbs thrown in for good measure, and the tiniest smidge of olive oil (in which I sauteed the onions and garlic to start with), it's really good for you.

I ate a spoonful of it. Oh. Oh, oh, oh. Flavor. Texture. The necessity of a spoon!

In a moment of rebellion, I ladled some into a small bowl. If my system was going to make me regret it, so be it. I needed to eat something, dammit.

Happily, I felt fine. I felt the sensation of food in my stomach, a slight fullness, and actually contemplated that yes, I had just ingested food. It was in a bowl and now it was in my stomach. The transfer of mass.

A hour or so later, I still felt fine.

Another bit of chocolate? Oh, OK!

And I just had a Chocolate Coconut Chew Larabar. Larabars rock. They're real food. Imagine that! They're soy-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and kosher.

So if you're a non-meat-eating, lactose-intolerant Orthodox Jew who suffers from celiac disease, you're home free.

(I'm a big fan of the Apple Pie bar, but I just noted on the web site that two new flavors are out for spring: Key Lime Pie and Pistachio! I LOVE Key Lime Pie. Must track that one down. And who doesn't love pistachio? When I was a kid, I thought pistachio pudding was fascinating, especially the color.)

So here we are, the evening of Day 1 and I've had juice and chocolate and soup and a Larabar and I feel OK.

Soup for dinner!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Me getting off the cleanse:
Day 1 - soup and chocolate
Day 2 - soup and twinkie
Day 3 - salad and 1/2 box of Tagalongs
Day 4 - Sausage Egg & Cheese Biscuit, Double Quarter Pounder

8:48 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oooh, Twinkie.

I haven't had a Twinkie in a bazillion years.

But I'm more of a Thin Mint gal. I used to love the shortbread, but they changed 'em. Thin Mints, though, never disappoint.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

frozen thin mints, mmmm

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home