Saturday, March 17, 2007

'My Super Ex-Girlfriend' ...

OK, I wasn't exactly expecting high art, but this is quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. How it managed to attract Uma Thurman and Luke Wilson, I'll never know. (I could probably find out, but I won't spend time searching.)

I gave it one star on Netflix. I considered turning it off on several occasions, but I always think that a movie or a book will get better if I just give it a chance.

I'm usually wrong. Gotta learn to go with my instincts.

I surfed on over to rottentomatoes.com to see what others thought of this movie and I was astonished to see that it earned a 41% rating overall and a 46% rating from the Cream of the Crop critics. Huh? I mean, anything under 60 is rotten, but 41/46 is way higher than I was expecting. I was expecting single digits.

Here's a review I can get behind: "Vile. Nasty. Crude. Base. Ugly. Everything that's bad about 21st-century gender relations can be found in Ivan Reitman's dopily noxious Super Ex." - Steve Schneider, Orlando Weekly

And this one's pleasant: "This is certainly not good news for My Super Ex-Girlfriend, a lame laugher whose anemic superpowers couldn't put a dent into a marshmallow with a rusty hammer." - Frank Ochieng, Movie Eye

I like the image of a rusty hammer and a smooshy marshmallow.

Maybe I should have watched that instead.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

Maybe I should have watched that, instead.

Or Heroes... (hem hem). :-)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yes, yes, I'll get through "Heroes."

I just don't think to go watch TV in my basement, because I never watch TV in my basement.

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

Thanks for the warning! I haven't been too tempted to watch this one, but now I definitely won't.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I"m definitely with you on this one .. I was dragged to this one and it just made my eyes and ears bleed

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home