Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Vice ...

I don't smoke. I tried smoking when I was younger, but - at the risk of sounding like Bill Clinton - I didn't inhale. I tried to, but I could never fill my lungs without smoke without hacking up said lungs.

I drink, but not often. When I worked at the Tribune, I was much more impressive in a bar. These days, a couple of drinks has me teetering on the brink of tipsy.

I've never done a drug. Nothing. Never. Not a hit of pot, not a line of coke, no mushrooms, no Ecstasy, nothing.

But I have a vice, a vice I very rarely indulge, but a vice just the same.

I love cheap disgusting cookies.

You know the kind, the kind you buy for next to nothing. I call them cheap disgusting cookies as an inside joke between me and my mom. They're cheap, to be sure, but they're not disgusting. If they were disgusting, I wouldn't eat them. And I don't eat them often. I picked up a package tonight and it was the first time in I don't even know how many years. And I came home, and I ate 9 of them (they're smaller than Oreos) with a glass of milk, and then I took the rest of them outside and threw them in the snow. For squirrels. For dogs. For passersby. They're there for the snacking, sprinkled on the snow.

I've had my fill. I won't want them again for a long, long time. But damn, they were good.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

Considering that I'm not "dieting", I have been cutting way back on the fast food. I have discovered that fast food is the new second-hand smoke. Mar's flight got in late enough recently that she just wanted to hit a drive-thru for dinner. I already ate, so she had her McDonald's [stuff] while I drove. I wanted to retch. Strange that it's OK when [one] is doing it, but terrible when not.

But I hear ya re: cheap cookies.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Careful, if you leave too many cookies out on the lawn, you might attract mice...

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home