Sunday, February 11, 2007

Vapors ...


First of all: THE POLICE ARE BACK!

Second of all: STING'S ARMS.

Holy mother of God, that man. He's 55 years old and he looks better than ever.

David Bauder from the AP wrote, "Wearing a punk-short haircut and displaying biceps that most 55-year-olds would kill for, Sting sang the rock trio's first hit, 'Roxanne.' " I ain't the only one takin' note of those guns. Biceps and triceps and delts, oh my.

There's talk that The Police will hold two concerts at Wrigley Field this summer. I will pay any amount of money to see that show.

The funny thing about watching their performace tonight - and how the hell can "Roxanne" be 30 years old?! - is that the band is still all about Sting. The bass player is rarely the lead singer. Right this minute, I can't think of any other bands with a bass-playing frontman. And I'm sure Stewart and Andy are still well aware of the fact that it's still Sting's show. Sting has been playing Police tunes on tour all through is solo career, but hey, he wrote 'em.

Still, I'm elated that they're back together. I stood in my TV room screaming at the screen, like I was at a concert. I can hit a pretty high-pitched, loud "Wooooooooooo!"

The Police are back!

I'm a bit of a junkie. The Police are a vice. (Vice. Police. Clever, Beth.) I just did a quick count of my Sting and Police CDs: 38. If you include discs/soundtracks on which Sting appears with one song, I have more than 40. (I'm counting actual CDs, not albums, so for these purposes, Message in a Box counts as 4, Bring on the Night counts as 2, etc.)

My all-time favorite Police tune is "Don't Stand So Close to Me" with "Every Breath You Take" a very close second.

And yours?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

Re: Bass-playing frontmen, do you mean currently, or historically? There's Rick James, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters...

9:17 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yup, I was talking about these-days bands.

9:23 PM  
Blogger 3finger said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

What Ethan said.

Oh, and "Synchronicity II". Random song combining the lead-up to an episode of domestic violence combined with the Loch Ness monster - crazy!

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

::: Smacking forehead :::

Rush.

Historically: Kiss.

Yes, it's uncommon, but if you really strain your brain, more examples will come to the fore. Far less common: Drummer as frontman. Don Henley comes to mind. Maybe Rare Earth. Duh - Genesis. See how this is?

11:01 PM  
Blogger Markbnj said...

Oh Beth.. Pretty much ANY police song.
Same for me in the NY/NJ area,
Will pray for ticket this summer!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

Are you sure that's Sting and not Malcolm McDowell? ;-)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Good point, Marc, but I dig Malcolm McDowell, too, so I'm covered, either way.

And then there's Rutger Hauer ...

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home