Tuesday, February 13, 2007

'The Last Kiss' ...

On a snowy, blowy day, I curled up on the couch and watched "The Last Kiss," a remake of an Italian film.

The well of ideas in Hollywood may be running dry, but remaking films from other countries seems to me a much better solution than a sequel to "The Dukes of Hazzard." Honestly, if the first television show-cum-movie sucks, do we really need a sequel? Or a prequel?

I saw a trailer for "The Last Kiss" on another recent rental and added it to my queue.

Have you heard of it? I hadn't until a month ago. Kelley mentioned that she rented it, and then I saw the trailer, and decided to give it a whirl.

Two words: Uh oh.

It's a good movie.

It's well cast.

It's well written.

It's well acted.

It is, in many ways, very much like the movie I'm writing.

That's not the reason for the "uh oh." They're not exactly the same movie, no one beat me to the punch.

I'm not writing my film with the sole goal of making my life's fortune, but it gives me pause that a smart, character-driven movie flew under the radar while the world focused on "Employee of the Month" or, God help us, "Jackass: Number Two." Heh, heh, look, Beavis, the title is like an inside joke about poo.

Wait. What's that I hear? Why it's the collective lowering of the country's IQ.

Roger Ebert gave the Italian version of the film two stars.

Rottentomatoes.com gave the Italian version a 73 percent rating, while the American remake only garnered a 46 percent. Ooh, Ty Burr from the Boston Globe called it "... an iPod playlist in search of a movie."

Ouch. Though, the soundtrack is pretty great.

It's a plateful of food for thought. Is any relationship really secure? Are we humans simply too flawed? Can we count on others not to stray, or is straying the only thing we can count on?

College Boyfriend David once said, "Why can't we just accept that we're not meant to be with one person forever?"

He said that, incidentally, long after we'd broken up. It wasn't a justification.

I was much younger at the time and I balked at the sentiment. I still clung to the notion that there's one perfect person out there for me and that it was my job to find him and his to find me.

I've grown up. I no longer think there's one perfect person. I'd like to share my life with someone, but I don't believe marriage has to be part of the arrangement. Marriage isn't any kind of guarantee. And a divorce is just a protracted, expensive break-up.

Of course, marriage is what you make it, but the only person you can control is yourself. No matter how much you love the other person, it's up to them to love you back.

Some relationships last forever. Some don't.

You might have a last kiss, but that doesn't mean you'll never have another first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home