Thursday, February 15, 2007

I Know Why I'm Here ...

The question is, why are you?

I blog because it forces me to write every day, more or less.

I marvel that people stop by to read what I have to say, but it's nice that they do. I don't write for an audience. I write for myself. Thinking on paper, so to speak, virtual paper. And a daily writing exercise.

Would I still write if my site counter never moved? Sure. This is kind of like my online journal. Of course, in a real journal, I'd write more-private things. But then, if I was only journaling, you'd have to wait until I died to read anything. Blog posts may be less juicy, but you get them every day.

So today, I received a comment to my Snowy post that read (let's give this self-proclaimed new Anon his 15 minutes, shall we?):

Begin quote:

Sorry but "clever" is not the word that comes to mind.

Try "woefully self-absorbed" or "trying a little too hard for some external validation."

I just landed on this blog by mistake,read a few entries and i have to say there's a lot of blogs that are boondoggles but this one is the mother of all boondoggles.

Too much time on your hands??

End quote.

I suspect that because Anon "landed on this blog by mistake" and was so displeased with what he found that he won't be back.

But as I replied to him in the comments, "Uh, it's my blog. Who should it be about?"

And then Ethan fed me this line from Mark Pilgrim: "I must have missed the part where I was put under any sort of obligation towards you whatsoever."

The funny thing is, today's earlier blog entry mused about the fact that I don't write about my own experiences so much as I comment on things: politics, movies, music, events of the day. People seem to respond the most (favorably) when I write personal stories, like my reminiscences of Charles.

Anon would find those "woefully self-absorbed," I suppose.

So why do you read this blog?

Why do I read the blogs I do? Some of the blogs are written by people I know and blogs are our way of keeping current on each other's lives. Other blogs are written by people I don't know and may never meet, but I've gotten to know them through their sites. Some of the stories are happy. Others are sad. My comments cheer the writers in their happy moments and commiserate with them when times are tough. It's a connection to other people. In "Shadowlands," C.S. Lewis says, "We read to know we are not alone." I've referenced that quote before.

The same goes for blogs. Writers allow a window into their lives, a door, even, and invite others inside. But we're not standing on the sidewalk, pulling passersby into our kitchens and forcing them to sit at the table and listen to our tales.

If you don't like what you read at one blog, you can walk on by to the next. Maybe there, you'll find someone you can relate to.

I'm pleased for all of my regular readers. I presume you return on a regular basis because what I write or the way I write it seems worthwhile to you.

As for the Anons of the world, there are millions of blogs out there. I'm sure you'll find something else to read.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

At least you have a regular stream of readers, evil and otherwise. You can dust the cobwebs off of my blog. I only have about three or four regulars, including you and my mother - and she may be out because Blogger upgraded the system and my mom still runs 9.2.2, which won't read Blogger anymore!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Why? I guess the simple answer is because I enjoy your writing. You have a way of keeping me involved and you put something out on a regular basis. If you enjoy it, do it for yourself and don't worry about the Anon's of the world.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Mikeachim said...

:)
I find it....bizarre that someone can feel they can drop by someone's webspace and leave a tart and snide comment or two.
What a waste of their time. Surely life is too short?
Elsewhere, I found it similarly odd when someone took someone else to task over a personal review: the reviewer was critical, and the commenter used the argument "it's not *right* that you should condemn this".....
Some people haven't quite grasped what blogging is all about.
.....
Personally, my code is this:
Anyone says anything smart about me in my blog, I track 'em down and shove chillies up their nostrils. Some people say it's a little adversarial, but I threaten them with chillies too and they shut up real quick.
Win-win.

7:43 PM  
Blogger miye said...

oh my gosh, I'm giggling at the preposterousness of this dude! You know what's really cute about it all?
The whole definition of a weblog is a site where an individual (or group) produce an ongoing narrative, or an online journal/diary. A journal (shocker) is a record of news & events of a personal nature. No where in any reference from the "powers of internet authority", does it say that any weblog has to be of any nature or subject or "boondoggleness" other than whatever the author damn well wants it to be....I think I read that somewhere...something about the first ammendment, right?
Perhaps said author has too much time on *his* hands...and is desperate for his own validation. Which is why he accidentally peruses blogsites and offers his worthless thoughts.

besides, doesn't he know that your "clever statement" at the end of that post was use of sarcasm? Oh - and in case no one knows what that is: the definition of sarcasm is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
I'm so helpful, aren't I?

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Ellen said...

I read because I enjoy your writing and your take on things. I also admire your steadfastness (as one who's been having a block lately).
-Ellen (Miye's sister, John's daughter)

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home