Thursday, February 15, 2007

Boring. Boring Like '60 Minutes' To A 7-Year-Old ...

College Boyfriend David called last week to check in. Phone calls from David are more shocking than good behavior in Washington. But he truly has the craziest schedule of any of my friends. So he was calling from his car. What was new in my life, he wanted to know.

I thought for a moment, cradling the phone in my shoulder, washing dishes. “Nothing, really,” I said. “I'm boring. Oh, I’m going to New York in April!”

“Well, I guess I’ll call back in April,” he said, with a smile in his voice that I could see. David has the best smile ever.

Lately I've been reading my Bloglines blogs and thinking to myself, "Huh. I don't write much about stuff that happens to me. Maybe nothing happens to me. Maybe I don't do anything."

It's my blog, sure. But I tend to comment on things rather than write about personal experiences. So when I find myself without anything to write about, maybe that means that I'm not living enough.

Maybe it's seasonal-affective disorder. Or maybe it's the cold weather. Or maybe it's me being lazy. Or maybe it's the dearth of cash in my wallet.

Maybe it's all of the above. I'm pretty sure I'd be doing more stuff if I was a millionaire living in California.

I can't remember the last time I've been to a movie in a theater. Granted, the theatrical-to-DVD cycle has been shortened to about 30 minutes, but I like movies on the big screen, especially in them there new-fangled stadium theaters. And there's been plenty out that I've been meaning to see, so what's my damage?

There's a lot of decent TV on these days. That might have something to do with it. But Friday and Saturdays still kinda suck when it comes to TV, which is intentional because the networks know that most people are at the movies on those nights. The movies. Where I should be.

Maybe I don't like crowds. Yes, that might be part of it. I'm too passive-aggressive. If people behind me in a theater make noise, I don't turn around and ask them to be quiet. I turn my head as if to acknowledge their noise and expect them to shut up. As if they're noticing my subtlety. Of course they're not. They're too busy yammering.

But when I do go out, I like it. It's not as though I'm itching to flee to my home and pull the curtains.

Clearly, I need to make my own fun. Not that I've been expecting others to do all the planning. I'm very much a plannner. Maybe I plan too much. But I've gotta come up with different things to do, new experiences, new perspectives. I'm going to more theater. That's good. And concerts. But that can get pricey. Tickets, parking, dinner before. Suddenly I've dropped a couple hundred bucks.

Yes, I need free fun. Or nearly free fun. Fun on a budget. Ooh, I need to go to the ATM and extract a single $20 (Yuppie Food Coupon, as my friend Drew calls 'em) and see what I can do with it. It'll be like Rachel Ray's $40 a Day, except less annoying. And it won't be all about food. And I won't have to pretend that everything I put in my mouth is bringing me to the brink of orgasm.

But first, I will take a nap. Or lie on the couch and watch "Network."

I'm bored as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

: o )

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

"And I won't have to pretend that everything I put in my mouth is bringing me to the brink of orgasm."

That's what SHE said!

OK, more seriously, I hear ya re: cheap/free fun. I'm going food crazy(ier) lately because we've gotta eat anyway, so might as well try to make it interesting. This is also where Netflix earns its flat monthly rate.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home