Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Random Notes ...

♪ This morning's musing about my beloved treadmill was my 700th post. Holy crap. That's a lot of drivel! I could say that it makes me a member of The 700 Club, but Pat Robertson is a lunatic, and who wants to be associated with that guy? (If you're bored, Google Images has a smorgasbord of Robertson fun!)

♪ So much for life-long buying habits: Not only have I recently switched dish soaps (I know! Alert the media!), I've recently kicked my childhood peanut butter to the curb. Jif, chock full o' nasty trans fats (I boo trans fats louder than the audience booed Roseanne Barr when she sang the national anthem) is out, Skippy Natural is in. For kicks today, I did a little taste test and yup, I like the new kid way better. Peanutty goodness.

♪ Speaking of trans fats, how does Crisco continue to justify its existence?

♪ Entertainment Weekly gets big kudos for putting Helen Mirren, Judi Dench, and Meryl Streep on its cover this week! And they're not even airbrushed to within an inch of their legendary lives.

♪ At night, apparently, the neighborhood cats use my deck as an Arthur Murray dance studio. It snowed a bit last night and my deck is almost completely covered in paw prints.

♪ Hooray for Hugh Laurie and Bill Nighy, two of my favorite Brits, and their Golden Globes!

♪ What was Cameron Diaz wearing last night? And did she pay someone to make her hair look like that? Ditto her makeup artist?

♪ Ticketmaster continues to send me e-mail about "My Little Pony Live!: The Worlds Biggest Tea Party." (Ponies don't know how to use apostrophes, apparently.) How the hell did I get on *that* list?

♪ Naomi Campbell pleaded guilty today to misdemeanor assault in the case of throwing a cell phone at her maid. Campbell says it was an accident. Her punishment? From the AP: "In exchange for her guilty plea, Campbell must pay Scolavino's medical expenses of $363, do five days of community service and attend a two-day anger management program." So, I'm wondering: What medical expense these days costs only $363?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By switching to Skippy Natural made with palm oil, you are increasing your saturated fat and getting less of the heart healthy fat in peanuts. See this link: http://www.peanut-institute.org/images/Trans_FatFFT.pdf

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trans fat issue is puzzling, too. Suddenly, if you actually read labels, it's not in anything anymore. Why was it there in the first place? This country runs for food issue to food issue and it's getting tiresome. In 6 months, it will be something else. If we'd all eat fresh foods, plain foods and eat the stuff in moderation, we'd all be fine.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Thanks, Anon I, for the PNB fact sheet. Sigh. Why is it so hard to do the right thing? I knew palm oil wasn't the best thing for my body, but I reasoned that at least it's real. Though now that I reread the Jif label, it does indeed say that the hydrogenated nastiness is less than 2 percent of ingredients. I'm almost out of the Skippy Natural. Perhaps I'll return to Jif. Or maybe I'll try another brand. I don't eat a lot of peanut butter, but it's always good to have on hand.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lowfat Skippy Super Chunk. Excellent on rye bread.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Markbnj said...

Beth:

Best to go with the STORE brain, ALL natural peanut butter...

Has:
NO added fat.
No added oil
NO added SUGAR

Nothing (but SALT), and peanuts unless UNSALTED..

Gotta tell you years ago, it was SO SO SO expensive at 2.99 for a lb.

The other day, I was in the supermarket and the Jif was $1.89, and the
Supermarket brand no added anything
was $1.89


NOW so SO cheap..

Ask yourself the following question:

Do I REALLY want to EAT SUGAR (or Corn Syrurp) WITH my peanut butter???
NO.

Why on earth would they have put these crappy ingredients into peanut butter???

Just to get them smoother and easier for that kid to be addicted to!

Markb

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

Fact: 100% of all living humans die.

Of course, the arguments can be made about the quality of those lives, and obliquely, that's my point. You can go absolutely insane trying to achieve absolute food purity, or you can play the "moderation on all things" card.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get/dig the cut-and-paste approach to replacing "bad" foods. But it's not always easy. Not to mention that certaun foods may be processed in some way using slave labor. That's the next layer of the "do the right thing" onion, so to speak.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home