Wednesday, January 24, 2007

iTunes, I Ching ...

As I've written before, I'm convinced that iTunes is synced up with my brain.

Once upon a time, Thomas Pecora did my charts. At the time, he called himself an "intuitive astrological consultant." I don't know if he still does. He seems to be focusing on music these days. But during our consultation, he brought up what I can do to develop my intuition and psychic abilities. (We all have abilities, some are just far along in their development while others don't even know they have them.) "You can get addictive on things," he warned. "Especially answers."

Well, I don't own a tarot deck or throw coins or read tea leaves, but every so often, because I find it amusing, I pose a question to iTunes and start clicking through the songs for "answers."

I feel a shift happening lately. I'm emboldened. I'm starting to say what's on my mind and discovering that it doesn't spell the end of my world. Most people take what I have to say in stride. But I'm also sensing that it's time to step away from some relationships. Maybe not forever. Or maybe. But it's time let go and see if the relationships still stand without me propping them up.

So today I asked iTunes if me and a certain someone are meant to take a break.

Here's what it "said." (Artists included in parentheses, for those who care.)

1. Don't Push (The Exit)

2. Who Are You (Tears For Fears)

3. Wishlist (Pearl Jam)

4. Modern Love (David Bowie)

5. So May It Secretly Begin (Pat Metheny Group)

6. In The Evening (Led Zeppelin)

7. Ominous Drums (Alex Parker & Jake Parker)

8. Bedroom Toys (Duran Duran) (This one cracked me up.)

9. You'd Better Run (Robert Plant)

10. Tunnel of Love (Bruce Springsteen)

11. Hotel California (The Eagles) (So I can check out of this relationship any time I want, but I can never leave? Hmm.)

12. All Alone (Gorillaz)

13. Don't Get Me Wrong (Howard Jones)

14. 'S Wonderful (Rod Stewart)

15. Someone To Watch Over Me (Chris Botti)

16. Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (Elton John) (There's a joke to be made here, but I'll refrain. It's a family blog.)

17. Io (Helen Stellar)

18. If I Should Fall Behind (Bruce Springsteen)

19. Looks LIke We Made It (Barry Manilow) (Yep, I have some Barry in my iTunes.)

20. Gone (Lisa Marie Presley) (Yep, I have some LMP in my iTunes.)

21. Like To Get To Know You Well (Howard Jones)

Apparently, iTunes is just as confused as me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This strikes me as an oddly secular (and modern) version of a practice common among Methodists and other Christian literalists -- namely, opening the Bible at random and then taking guidance from the first verse that catches the eye.

Except aparently you didn't like the first "message" your iPod shuffle gave you ("Don't Push"). Does anyone else think it's cheating to keep going until a song pops up that tells you what you want to hear? After all, the Methodists didn't keep flipping through their Bible verses.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Funny that you bring up opening the Bible -- that's a practice used in "Running with Scissors," which I'm reading right now. The author calls it "bible-dipping."

It's not that I didn't like the first answer. It's that there's often an overall theme. I find it amusing that I ask a question and all the songs seem to center around it. I pick a number and that's how many songs I click through. I should have explained that.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For a more historic perspective on "Bible-dipping," see the character of Dinah in George Eliot's Adam Bede.

Given that the contents of one's iPod are self-selected and therefore reflective of an individual sensibility (and that individual's particular bundle of neuroses), how surprising is it that ANY set of songs would have "an overall theme"?

At the end of the day, magical thinking is amusing, but not particularly constructive.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Points well taken.

Keep in mind, I was just doing this for fun.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home