Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Flashback To The '80s ...

It was the decade of big hair - and I would know.

I was in high school and college in the '80s. (I finished college in March of '91. Yes, March. My school was on quarters at the time. I was done a bit early.)

Music, as it does now, played a huge role in my life then.

I'm fascinated by music and its ability to instantly transport you to a time and place. I'm fascinated by my brain's ability to instantly recall the lyrics when I hear a song I haven't heard in 20 years. Does the music unlock that part of my memory? If someone asked me to recite the lyrics to a song, I probably couldn't do it unless I played the song in my head.

So today, in the mail, I received a few CDs from BMG Music Service. BMG can be vexing in its dearth of current titles, but you can't beat 'em for beefing up other aspects of your CD collection. (A year or so ago I filled in U2 and Pearl Jam holes.) Some artists are lacking on the site, but I was able to get Ray LaMontagne's latest disc for Kelley. I already have it, but she turned me on to Ray's music, so I scored the disc for her. Ray's not exactly Jessica Simpson, so BMG is good for some artists beyond the uber-commercial.

Though speaking of uber-commercial, I also got Madonna's "Confessions on a Dance Floor," because it was essentially free and from what I've heard of it, it's a good, fluffy disc that renders its listeners incapable of sitting still. So $2.79 for shipping and handling is about what I'm willing to pay for Madge's dance disc, and I put it on today and, yep, in fact, I found myself dancin' around my house like Ellen DeGeneres.

But the point of this point isn't Ray or Madonna, it's the other two discs: a collection of Simple Minds hits (I had a Simple Minds disc once; I loaned it to Dave, who is a very good friend but who is also my black hole of media) and a collection of singles by The Smiths.

I put it in my CD changer, cranked my stereo to 60, and the moment I heard the guitar open of "How Soon Is Now?" I was in high school again. I practically remembered my locker combination. Ah, and who could forget the animal squeals on "Meat is Murder"? Tracy and I tried to be vegetarians in high school. I remember cheese sandwiches at The Sub Port.

My 20th high school reunion is this year if anyone bothers to pull one together. And if anyone even remotely cool is in charge of the music, this song should be on the playlist. Probably right after MC Hammer.

I wonder if anyone will show up in parachute pants.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

I'd love to see your definition of "big hair" !!! ;)

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, the minute you said, you remebered your locker combo mine popped into my head. 20-14-10. Also Simple Minds' Don't you forget about me started playing in my head. Along with Bender, Andy The Jock, Allison, Claire, and Dick the Principal. I know I am biased, but I think there was some great music while we were in high school and college. Violent Femmes, Psychedelic Furs, INXS, The Cure, The Fixx, and U2 to name a few.

peace bitch!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl, I can't believe you didn't post the Christmas big hair pic!
TB

12:13 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I don't have it in my computer! When I do, I'll share. Promise.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home