Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Color Your World ...

Who decides this stuff? I just found out that it's National Delurking Week.

Delurking. I love that word.

Like most bloggers, I have a few readers who comment on a semi-regular basis, but my daily number of hits suggest many more people are reading and I've never heard from them.

So I'm gonna poach Whoorl's idea and ask "What's your favorite Crayola crayon color?" There's a chart at Wikipedia. Ah, Wikipedia. How did we ever live without it?

See? Nothing too personal. Nothing too taxing. Feel free to simply list your favorite color. If there's a story behind it, feel free to leave that, too.

As I commented on Whoorl's site, "When I was little, and I had a bigger box of crayons, I loved Blue Green. But of the core 8 chunky crayons when I was little little, I loved Green the best. And these days, having seen the chart, I think I gotta go with Asparagus. I wonder if it makes your pictures smell funny when you color with it ... : o )"

This is the first picture I colored in kindergarten, which I started when I was 4 because of how my birthday fell. Yes, I spelled my name wrong, but hey, my mom taught me how to write my name when I was 3. And I have a lot of letters in my name. I used to like to use a different color for each letter, but with a name so long, I usually stuck to a single color, because with 9 letters and 8 chunky crayons, I'd have to repeat a color, and who really wants to use brown and black in their name rainbow anyway? The first "e" in Ellen should be capitalized, but no one ever gets that right. It's even wrong on my college degree. But I digress.

I remember the day I colored this. I remember, particularly, being distressed that I had such limited options. The Red, Yellow, and Green crayons for the lights themselves, those were all well and good, but the casing of the stoplight left me flummoxed. In my world, stoplight housings were Yellow Orange in Crayolaland, but I had no Yellow Orange crayon. I could have used orange, but it wasn't exactly right, so I decided to be completely contrarian and use Blue instead.

Clearly, I was really into the idea in the upper-lefthand corner, but eventually got fed up and finished with a few rudimentary scribbles. That, and I was probably running out of time. I'm sure I spent too many minutes lamenting my limited color choices.

I'm sure that coloring episode set the tone for all my future frustration as an artist. : o )

At least I got an "Excellent" star stamp.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Doreen said...

PINK

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

The metals: Gold, silver, copper.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Scarlet. Always loved the deep red colors. Drove a red Trans Am in high school. Drive a red car now (although I'm embarrassed to say it's a Honda Civic). Went to a school whose colors were red and white and had the best time of my life. My rain jacket - red. I would rather wear a certain red polo shirt than anything else in the whole world.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Doreen said...

Jeff- I see no reason to be embarassed to say you have a civic - dude - you have a car and it runs ... I think that puts you ahead of the "game" on a number of levels!!!! It can always be worse!!!
:)

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Bill said...

Good old-fashioned "Green". A certain purity associated with the old colors..

11:33 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

yeah, but from a trans am to a civic? I'm still hanging on to my Man Card, but it's pretty frayed at this point.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Angela said...

My favorite color is winter white. It's so crisp and sexy.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home